11 ~ the bakery

Harley sat outside of Mr. Matthews' classroom and took pictures of students, walking by, talking etc. Several students came up to Harley and asked to have their photos taken for the yearbook.

"Hey, dinosaur boy," Maya Hart greeted him.

"Hey," Harley said, lifting his camera up and focusing on a group of students. "Where did dinosaur boy come from?" he snapped several photos of the pictures.

"I don't know," Maya admitted. "You just come off as someone who'd like dinosaurs. Or be in a movie about dinosaurs."

"Like Jurassic Park?"

"Yes, like Jurassic Park," Maya smiled as Harley turned his camera and let it hang around his neck.

"Well,  you're not completely wrong," Harley admitted. 

"Really?" Maya asked, getting caught off guard.

Harley nodded. "I was obsessed with the Jurassic Park movies when I was a kid," Harley explained. 

Maya bit her lip and Harley instantly regretted telling her this piece of information.

"Oh, god, you're gonna make fun of me about this aren't you?" Harley said.

She smiled and Harley knew it was a yes.

"Oh, god," he groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose and leaning back against the bench.

He looked back at her.

"Please, don't," Harley begged her.

"No promises," she smiled.

Harley groaned.

"Where's Cassie?" Maya asked. "Aren't you always with her?"

"Yeah, but she has those play rehearsals," Harley said. "Where are Gabe and Riley? Aren't you always with them."

"Yeah, well," Maya said, "Gabe got held back because of his sister and Riley is talking to her dad."

"And you're not with her because...?" he said, waiting for her to answer.

"Apparently it's some private matter," she shrugged, "something I can't know."

"Oh," Harley said. "What about Farkle Minkus? Or Lucas, Zay and Caleb? Or Smackle"

"Farkle is an extra in that play," Maya said. "And the guys are doing some sports related stuff. And have you met Smackle?"

"Good point," Harley said, referring to Smackle.

"So, all of our friends busy," Maya said, leaning back against the bench.

"Uh - huh," Harley agreed.

"So, new kid," Maya said, looking at Harley, "what do you want to do?"

Harley shrugged. "I don't know. And reminder, we're all new kids in high school."

"Yeah, well, I've been going to school with pretty much the same people since elementary school," Maya reminded him. "We may be new to high school, you're a new kid to our grade."

Harley didn't say anything.

He took a deep breath.

"Are you coming to the bakery after school?" Maya asked. "With the rest of us?"

"Probably," he shrugged, looking at her, "if you guys want me to come."

"Of course we want you to come," Maya said. "You're our friend, right?"

"Yeah," he nodded. 

"Then you're coming," Maya said. "You and Cassie if she doesn't have rehearsals."