21

"mom, do i have to go?" kenma whines, getting in the car.

"for the millionth time, kenma. yes, you have to go." sumi sighs. "it's just the aquarium, you're acting like you have things to do today when we both know you're going to be in your apartment playing games."

"but i don't want to go on a field trip," he mumbles, "i haven't been on one since high school."

"the kids love you, kenma. you honestly make a pretty good teacher."

"i think you're forgetting what my actual job is."

sumi rolls her eyes, "don't you dare get all smart on me."

"getting attitude from your only 22 year old son is normal."

"don't be a brat, you're acting like your father when he was in college."

"and yet you somehow fell for that," kenma laughs. "don't worry, mom. dad is going to visit us soon."

"as if i fell for him, he fell for me." sumi scoffs but a smile lingers on her lips. "i just thought he was a stupid rich boy with a big ego."

"eh, nothing really has changed with that."

they got to the school. it took a while to get all the students in a single file line and get them in the bus. kenma slung his backpack over his shoulder and made his way to the back of the bus.

looking up, he noticed that some parents volunteered as chaperones, making him confused on why his mom make him come in the first place.

he sat down at the very back and got comfortable in the corner. as kenma was about to put in his airpods, someone took a seat next to him.

"kenma, hey."

kenma looked up to see kuroo hovering over him and then taking a seat. "kuroo, i didn't know you were coming."

"oh, i signed up last minute because riku convinced me to," he laughs. "he's sitting with shiro right now."

"you're not busy today with work?"

kuroo shook his head, "nah, i'm usually never busy during the day."

eita sat next to kuroo, eating his breakfast while still half asleep.

"do you usually chaperone?"

kuroo shrugs, "to be honest, i'm not the best with kids, but i don't think eita would have gone if i wasn't here."

"not the best with kids?" kenma laughs, "that's a surprise."

"kids are scared of me," kuroo says, running his hand through his hair. "i mean, i don't blame them. i do kinda look scary."

kenma drank his apple sauce squeeze pack. "you're just tall but i think it's also the tattoos."

kuroo looks over at kenma, raising his eyebrow. "did you take that from your mom?"

"got a problem?"

"someone got an attitude."

"what's new," he shrugs. "it's too early for this, i don't even know why my mom made me come here."

"eh i don't really wanna be here either."

"why?"

he points at his eyebrow piercing that hid underneath his bangs. "again, i'm kinda a scary looking dude." kuroo sighs, "i don't want people thinking eita's dad is a gang member or something."

"you're not that scary, kuroo."

"to you, maybe not," he sinks into his hoodie. "but i feel bad whenever a kid sees me and they get scared."