Chapter Five

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING YOU FUCKING MORON?!" Nell snarled at him, as their little chef avatars scrambled around a moving kitchen trying to fill orders. She was very serious about her games and it was simultaneously adorable and hilarious.

Natsuo clutched at his sides and tumbled off the sofa laughing hysterically. He couldn't remember ever having this much fun in his entire life. He continued laughing as Nell launched into a tirade about his horrible skills in the video game kitchen before suddenly erupting into giggles.

"What is wrong with you?!" Natsuo cackled on the floor.

"Me?! You're the idiot that can't tell a deep fryer from a skillet!" Nell snapped while fighting off another laughing fit.

Natsuo wiped at his eyes, "you take this way too seriously."

They'd been playing a ton of different games and Nell was an absolute monster during all of them and Natsuo couldn't be more amused. Her face turned really red when she lost her cool during video games and she'd blow a fuse and yell at everyone and everything in sight.

"You're the absolute worst and I'm never playing with you again." Nell huffed.

"Another round?" Natsuo asked with a smile.

"Obviously." Nell grinned and started another game before Natsuo even had a chance to pick himself up off the floor which prompted her to yell at him as his little chef character fell off the edge line and had to wait to respawn, sending him into another fit of hysterical laughter.

They lost yet another round because Natsuo was laughing too hard at Nell's temper tantrum and Nell sat back on the sofa with a sigh, "I'm starving, what should we do for food?" Nell asked as she shrugged out of her black denim jacket revealing more tattoos crawling up her arms.

There was a beautiful intricate sugar skull with 'Maria' carved into the forehead in beautiful scrawling letters tattooed on her left bicep next to her heart. Natsuo looked at the picture on the wall and back to the ornate sugar skull ink. Did that mean she was dead? There was a date etched just below the skull in what appeared to be blood. It was two years ago.

"Food?" Nell waved her hand in front of his face as she realized he was zoning out.

"Ah, yeah, food sounds good. Anything but burgers." He shuddered as he thought back to the nightmare game they'd been playing before and how often they'd had to run through that same burger level in an attempt to get more stars.

Nell laughed, "no burgers but I do have a ton of frozen pizzas." She headed to the kitchen and opened the freezer before holding up a box of BBQ chicken pizza. She'd had them specially flown in from The States to piss off her parents.

"Sounds good." Natsuo smiled.

After some delicious pizza, they played another game where their avatars were movers and they had to move things from one place to another. Natsuo soon found himself in stitches again as Nell began screaming after his avatar had broken a window to get a piece of furniture out quicker.

"What the hell are you doing, you animal?!" Nell raged. "That's getting deducted from your paycheck!"

Natsuo lost it, and began breaking things intentionally just to set her off and listen to her cute tantrums.

After another very stressful game, Nell groaned and sank into the couch. "I think I need to go lay down, you really suck at this."

Nastuo chuckled, "yeah...but it's fun."

Nell smiled, "it is." She agreed.

Natsuo checked his phone and went very pale, it was nearly midnight! "Damn. I gotta get going." He got up, reluctantly.

Nell followed him to the door to see him out, "you're welcome back anytime."

"Even if I'm terrible at video games?" He snickered.

"Yeah." Nell giggled.

Natsuo hesitated, not sure if he should give her a hug or handshake or...he wasn't exactly sure what to do. It had been the most fun he'd had, as far back as he could remember, he felt like he should do something more than just say 'see ya' and leave.

Noticing Natsuo struggle and extend his hand then rethink it and try to open his arms before rethinking it and trying to extend his hand again as if he had no idea how to depart, Nell giggled quietly to herself before taking a step toward him. She gently placed her hands on either side of his face and he was once again enveloped by the smell of roses.

"Thank you, Natsuo." She stood on tiptoe and placed a soft kiss to his lips causing his face to flush scarlet.

"Y-Y-yeah. G-g-goodnight." Natsuo stepped away, his face a bright shade of red. He heard Nell let out another giggle before she retreated back into her apartment.

Natsuo placed his hands to his cheeks where her hands had rested moments before, his skin tingled a little and resonated with the warmth from her hands before fading. He exited the fancy skyrise building. It was a little strange for a college student to be living in such a fancy apartment, though she didn't quite look it, she must have come from money. He chanced a glance back up at the apartment building he saw her standing on a small balcony looking out at the city lights. Her expression somber.

A strong wind picked up and he shielded his eyes for the briefest of moments before looking back. Nell was gone and there was a large cloud of rose petals fluttering from her balcony getting swept away by the wind. It was mesmerizing how the petals danced across the breeze managing to stay in one big cloud before getting swept away out of his sight. He glanced back at the balcony, but Nell didn't reappear.

Reluctantly, he headed home. Fuyumi was probably worried sick, he should have texted her, but he didn't. His thoughts were filled with roses and the wild yet tormented girl who conjured them. He brushed a finger to his lips as he thought of the feel of her lips on his, it had felt like he was kissing a rose petal, her lips had been velveteen smooth and he'd been completely engulfed in the smell of roses.

As he reached the Todoroki Estate, he paused and looked at the large traditional Japanese manor. It looked so dull and lifeless. There was a single light on near the front door. Fuyumi had probably left it on for him, she was always doing thoughtful things for people. He sighed and slowly trudged toward the house. Just two more weeks, and he could live on campus.

Video- "Vortex" By Jinjer