Chapter Fifteen

Nell tapped her combat boot laden foot, resting her elbows on the boardwalk railing as she waited impatiently for Natsuo to arrive. Her gaze was drawn to a young man a few years her senior with scruffy dark hair. Something about his facial structure looked familiar in some way. Though it was a bit hard to place given the amount of burns and medical staples adorning his face. He seemed to be trying to go unnoticed as he made his way through the crowd of boardwalk goers.

"Hey, babe, are you waiting on someone?" A gruff voice sounded loudly beside her drawing her sharp gaze away from the perplexing young man. She glanced in disdain at the frat boy who'd invaded her personal space.

"It's not you so keep walking." Nell growled.

"You didn't have to be such a bitch about it, I was just trying to do you a favor." He growled, his ego bruised.

"Burdening me with your presence is a favor to no one." Nell rolled her eyes.

"What was that, bitch?!" His voice rose higher. The boardwalk was busy but no one paid them any mind, save for the young man with the medical staples, his piercing turquoise eyes flicked in their direction and he made his way over toward the commotion.

Nell didn't flinch as the frat boy reached for her, his hand encircled her wrist. A smirk twisted its way onto her lips as she activated her quirk the moment he came into contact with her. The frat boy let out a yowl of pain and withdrew his hand as blood profusely streamed from several puncture wounds on his palm from the thorny vines that had ripped through her skin and maimed his.

"Crazy bitch!" He screamed and tripped backwards over his own feet in an attempt to get away from her.

"You don't know the half of it." Nell winked at him.

He paled and quickly scrambled away.

Nell looked past him, to see the young man with the medical staples looking as if he'd been about to intervene. He surveyed the scene curiously before his gaze met hers. "Need something?" She frowned, not sure why he'd approached her.

The corner of his lips twitched slightly, the faintest of smirks starting to form, "looks like you handled it just fine without me."

"Have we met?" Nell asked him curiously. It was beginning to annoy her that he seemed so familiar. Even the way he spoke seemed somewhat familiar.

"Can't say that we have." He replied in an unaffected tone.

Nell was about to question him further when she heard a familiar voice call out to her from further down the boardwalk, "Nell!" The young man with the medical staples visibly paled at the sound of Natsuo's voice and turned to leave.

"Hey, wait!" Nell called after him but he quickly lost himself in the crowd. "Or not." She sighed as she lost sight of him. She turned as Natuso broke through the crowd and ran toward her with a grin, waving like mad.

"Sorry to keep you waiting." He smiled sheepishly as he reached her.

"You can make it up to me with a race." Nell grinned.

"Race?" Natsuo asked, confused.

Nell looked in the direction of the beach to a stall with jet ski rentals. "On those."

"That seems horribly unsafe." Natsuo frowned as he looked over the nearly black water. He wasn't fond of the idea in the daytime, let alone at night.

"That's half the fun." Nell smiled as his hand slipped in hers. She laced her fingers through his.

Natsuo's gaze flicked down to her wrist and he blanched, "are you bleeding?"

Nell followed his gaze and realized the idiot who'd grabbed her had got his blood on her. "Not mine." She shrugged.

"That might be more concerning." Natsuo groaned, "what happened?"

"Just a douchebag being a douchebag." Nell shrugged.

"And is that douchebag still standing?" Natsuo began scanning the crowd for someone bleeding out.

Nell rolled her eyes, "he crawled away, but I'm sure he'll be fine."

Natsuo sighed, "you a danger magnet?"

Nell smiled."Let's race!" She pulled Natsuo toward the beach, as she moved she scanned the crowd for the young man from before. She got a sneaking suspicion he was watching them from somewhere as she could feel the hair on the back of her neck standing on end.

"This is a horrible idea!" Natsuo yelled in protest but made no move to resist her.

Nell cackled, amused by all of his futile protesting. Natsuo continued his futile protesting at the rental and as he was gearing up with a life vest and helmet. The jet ski rental attendant watched the pair of them with a shake of their head before returning to the book of smut behind the counter.

"There isn't like a safety spiel?" Natsuo blanched.

The attendant shrugged, "don't die?"

"What?!" Natsuo yelped as Nell laughed.

"Keep whining and you're definitely going to lose." Nell smirked as she skipped the helmet and life vest and hopped on a sleek black jet ski.

"Hey! You need to wear a life vest!" Natsuo panicked.

Nell revved the engine and took off from the dock with a roar splashing water at him with her quick departure. Natuso stood on the dock, agape as she tore off into the night.

He quickly scrambled onto his own jet ski with one last yell of protest, "this is crazy! We're going to die!"

"I said don't die!" The attendant yelled after him as he nervously pulled away from the dock.

"Nell!?" Natsuo called after her as he raced out into the darkness, she was on an all black jet ski wearing all black and was impossible to find on the dark water. He sped up and let out a panicked yelp as he almost collided with her, she'd stopped to wait for him.

He managed to swerve out of the way just in time and slow to a stop. Nell's laughter enveloped him, amused by their near death.

"I thought we were racing?" Natuso asked as he turned and drifted to a stop beside her.

"We can, but I just wanted to get away from the crowd." Nell shrugged and draped her arms over the handlebars of her jet ski. She gazed up at the bright full moon in the sky.

"Is it even legal to drive jet ski's after dark? This seems very unsafe." Natuso frowned.

"Nah, I had to bribe the attendant." Nell shrugged.

"With what?"

"Flashed my tits." Nell replied with a straight face.

"WHAT?!" Natuso's voice cracked. He'd completely missed it while he was protesting profusely, his protests falling on deaf ears.

Nell nearly fell off her jet ski laughing hysterically. "Kidding, I gave them a hundred bucks."

Natsuo shook his head, expelling a sigh from his lips. He'd completely missed the exchange.

Nell glanced back at the boardwalk, the shoreline lit up with bright lights from the bustling city. "Do you happen to know anyone with dark hair, kinda cool style and covered in lots of nasty burns and medical staples?" She asked curiously.

Natsuo gave her a curious look, "can't say that I do, why?"

Nell frowned. "No reason."

"Was that the douchebag?" Natsuo pondered.

Nell shook her head, "no, acted more like a vigilante."

"He picked the wrong damsel in distress to help." Natsuo snickered.

"How about a swim?" Nell grinned and shrugged out of her black denim jacket.

"What about sharks?" Natsuo blanched.

"That makes it thrilling." Nell winked before diving into the water.

"Nell!" Natsuo yelped as she disappeared beneath the surface. "If we drown, I'm never playing Overcooked with you ever again." He grumbled as he nervously shrugged out of his safety gear and jumped in the water after her.