Chapter Twelve

"Hey, Goth Bitch!" A snarling voice rang out through the crowded cafeteria. Seventeen year old Nell barely lifted her head. Though it had been a whole year since Maria had committed suicide, she still couldn't bring herself to function normally or really interact with anyone. She went through the motions, going to classes, going to the cafeteria as usual but she was just a hollow shell. She wasn't ever really paying attention and though she always ended up with a tray of food it always went untouched.

Nell lifted her gaze to see Dickless Damien standing before her, it took her a moment to realize he was pointing something at her and that people were now screaming and running away. A gun. He had a gun. She stared at him blankly, it really didn't matter if he killed her, Maria was dead and he could never do what he'd done to Maria to anyone else ever again, so honestly, there was nothing left for her.

"Do it." Nell said quietly.

Damien's hand shook.

"Go on then." Nell goaded him. Maybe she could see Maria again, they could haunt people together, it wouldn't be so bad.

Damien put his finger on the trigger, "you ruined my life."

"You ended mine the moment you set your sights on Maria, you piece of shit. You want me to feel sorry for you? YOU KILLED MY BEST FRIEND! YOU DON'T DESERVE PITY! PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER OR GO THE FUCK AWAY!" Nell roared.

The few people who lingered near the doors to watch gasped at her as she stared down the barrel of the gun, unflinching.

"Go to Hell!" Damien pulled the trigger. The bullet tore through her chest. The opposite side of where her heart should be. There was a burning pain as it tore through her lung.

"You fucking missed. You useless fuck." Nell hissed as blood began to bubble up in the back of her throat. She fell backward off the bench.

"Nell?" Natsuo's gentle voice sounded in the darkness before a beam of light passed over her.

She realized then, he'd tried to turn the overhead light on but in her sleep the room had been completely overtaken by thorn covered vines. All the light had been choked out by the strangling vines. "Not dead." She replied and held up a hand to shield her eyes from the intense beam of his phone's flashlight.

Natsuo breathed a sigh of relief and crossed the rose covered floor. He set a first aid kit on her nightstand and hesitated unsure of what to do, how to start or even how to ask her to let him help her.

Nell glanced at the first aid kit, "did you want to play doctor?"

Natsuo's cheeks flushed scarlet. "I wanted to help, however I can since you're not letting me take you to the hospital for some reason."

"It's a pretty good reason." Nell smirked, "they ask questions, they report shit and I'm not interested in going to jail."

"Wouldn't your Dad bail you out?" Natsuo pondered.

Nell tensed, "excuse me?"

"He's a governor...right?"

"Yes but he'd be more likely to put a hit out on me than bail me out of jail." Nell pointed.

"What?" Natsuo stared at her in awe.

"It doesn't matter, we can play doctor if it will make you feel better." Nell sat up and pulled her grungy band tee over her head.

Natsuo's cheeks flushed with heat as she was now sitting in nothing more than her shredded shorts and a plain black lace bralette. He trained his gaze on her bandages, refusing to look anywhere else.

"You okay over there?" Nell asked him curiously, his face was an alarming shade of red.

"Y-yeah." Natsuo's voice went up an octave as he reached for her bandages. His fingers trembled as he slowly began to peel the bandages away revealing a thick layer of gauze that was soaked in blood.

"You squeamish?" Nell pondered as she watched him continue exposing her wound with shaking hands.

"N-no." Natsuo stammered.

Nell smiled but remained quiet while he worked.

Once Natsuo revealed the wound he let out a sympathetic hiss of pain. She'd stitched it up herself. The stitches looked neatly done and there wasn't any sign of infection or inflammation. It wasn't hot to the touch or red. There was healthy pink granulation tissue around the stitching.

"You've done this before?" He asked as he examined the wound.

"A time or two." Nell nodded.

"The stitching is nicely done." He commented before cleaning the site and reapplying some fresh sterile gauze. Instead of wrapping her in bandages he put a larger piece of gauze over top and used medical tape to secure it. He didn't trust her to be a good patient and stay in bed and figured the tape would help keep things in place better than the wrapping.

"You know a lot about stitches?" Nell pondered.

"Not really, just watch a lot of doctor shows and documentaries." Natsuo blushed.

"Are you planning on going into the medical field?" Nell asked.

"Sorta...I'm studying Medical Welfare." He replied quietly.

"Like a social worker?" Nell pondered.

He nodded and looked over the wound dressing to make sure it was secured. His cheeks flushed with color as Nell leaned back, drawing his gaze as her hands moved slowly in the air over her abdomen and chest before stretching up above her head. She giggled as he quickly averted his gaze.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist, you're fun to tease." Nell smiled.

"Well I'm glad you seem to be feeling better." Natsuo muttered while trying to hide his blushing face by looking away from her. Though even the tips of his ears were red and still in Nell's view.

She smiled and sat back up, slipping her shirt back on. Her arms sidled around him and she leaned forward placing a kiss to his cheek, "thanks for taking care of me, Natsuo."

"S-sure." He stammered adorably. "A-anytime."

Video- "Lonely" By Palaye Royale