Chapter Six

"Why can't I see Maria?!" Nell stormed into her father's home office enraged.

Her father was a tall man with broad shoulders and the start of a beer gut. He had dark violet hair and blood red eyes. He looked up from the proposal he was looking at with a sigh. "Eleanor, I don't have time for one of your episodes, please leave."

"No, I want to see Maria!" Eleanor screamed, she'd tried to visit her at the hospital but she'd been turned away saying she didn't have permission.

"Eleanor, I won't tell you again." Her father slowly rose from his seat, placing his hands on his desk. He was always calm, deadly calm and he threw a look at her that said if she pressed further, she would regret it.

She didn't give a damn, her best friend was in trouble. "Tell me why!" Nell exploded in anger.

"Because she's sick!" Her father snapped.

Nell tried to bolt out of the way as he raised his voice but vines shot from the floor, one wound around her neck making breathing more difficult. "Sh-she's not sick! Something happened! She wouldn't do something like this! I have to help her!" She wasn't backing down, she didn't care about what happened to her, Maria was more important.

"Eleanor, she tried to kill herself, clearly she's ill and you don't need that kind of influence in your life, you won't be seeing her again, now drop it." The vines around her neck tightened, completely cutting off her oxygen.

She clawed at the vines when the edges of her vision began to darken and they released her. She dropped to the floor coughing and gasping for breath. Tears burned in her eyes and she ran from the room, retreating to her bedroom.

Nell moved to her desk, "fine, I'll just have to find another way in." She looked at the letter opener atop her desk. "I'm coming, Maria. Hold on, I'll help you." She drug the blade across her wrist pressing hard so it would dig deep enough to be cause for concern and not mistaken for an accident. Since she didn't have mail to open the blade was sharp from having never been used. A gasp escaped her as it tore through her flesh with ease and blood began to pool from the wound. "Hang on, Maria." Nell slipped to the ground.

A cloud of blood red rose petals fluttered into an alley before reassembling. After Natsuo left, she felt like she couldn't breathe as everything came rushing back to her. She exhaled slowly, shoved her hands into the pockets of her shredded up shorts since she'd left her denim jacket in her apartment and exited the alley trying to act like she belonged here. A few people stared at her and avoided her upon seeing all of her tattoos and piercings.

"AH! SOMEBODY HELP ME!" A scream burst from across the street, startling her.

Nell spotted a young man with unruly pale blonde hair running down the street. Two men wearing big bulky clothing that made them easily obscured from security cameras were chasing after him. No one else on the street paid any mind.

"What the hell?" Nell growled as she saw people just walking about as if this was a normal thing. She let out a sigh, "fucking hell, can I not just have a night to lose my shit in peace?!" She growled and raced after them.

The blonde darted into an alley to try and escape his pursuers. They were hot on his heels and very hard to lose. Nell heard the blonde let out a terrified scream as they must have caught up to him.

"I'm not in the mood for this shit!" She yelled as she turned down the alley causing all three men to turn to her.

"Just walk away, girlie." One of the men wearing bulky clothing scoffed at her as he held the blonde by his throat, lifting him off the ground. The blonde already had a bloody nose from whatever they'd done when they initially grabbed him.