22

After an afternoon full of wandering around looking at the houses in town, and not really liking any of them, Victor and I make our way back downtown so we can use his rental to go back to Millie's. I direct him on the route I know to get to the B&B. I decided to go ahead and take him to Carson's for dinner tonight instead of tomorrow. I desperately need to get cleaned up before we go though. After a day in this southern humidity, I feel and look like a drowned rat.

I also wanted to see if Millie would be willing to let Victor rent out her second room for a night or two, or to just have him bunk up with me. I know how cranky he will be if I make him get a hotel elsewhere.

I walk into the house with Vic following closely behind. I feel him tense when he sees Landon coming down the stairs in his officer uniform. I put my hand out a little motioning that it is okay.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Landon's job. I'm never going to hear the end of this. I groan internally and fight back the urge to facepalm.

"Letty. Uh, it's good to see you," Landon says to me, his voice sounding strained. Clearly the awkwardness from this morning is still weighing heavily on his mind. I give him a light smile and glance back at Victor who is standing there with an emotionless face. I can tell he is stewing with anger inside. I turn my attention back to Landon.

"Hi, Landon. Headed to work?" I ask him, trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, I'll be out most of the night."

"Oh, good so I won't have a repeat show from last night. That's good. I forgot to pick up some earplugs while I was out. I may have to suggest to Millie to keep some complementary ones on the nightstand for her future guests until she can get the soundproofing up to par," I say with a grin. He coughs and his cheeks flush pink.

"I really am sorry about that. I-I didn't know we, uh, it was that loud," He says as he shuffles around awkwardly. I snort and let out an incredulous laugh.

"How could you not? Cheese and crackers, she was so loud to me and I wasn't even in the room," Thank goodness. "I can't imagine the damage your poor eardrums have taken! Especially if that's like a long term thing you've got going. Honestly, that's probably why you couldn't tell."

I hear Millie cackling out laughter from the living room.

"You may want to get your ears checked, Wolfie. Wouldn't want you to lose your hearing," I coo and add a wink. He glares at me, apparently done with being embarrassed.

"Who is this then? Decided to get some revenge?" He sneers with bitterness in each word as he nods over towards Vic.

I giggle and link my arm through Victor's, gripping his bicep. "This is my brother Victor. He's going to help me find a place and get settled. Vic, this is Landon. He owns this place with his sister, Millie."

Landon studies Vic for a moment. He blinks a couple of times and looks back at me as the words I said previously just sunk in. "Wait. So you're actually moving here? Why do you want to stay when you can just go with him?"

Okay, rude. I feel Victor's arm muscles tense under my hand. I squeeze it to calm him down. Then squeeze again, because... muscles.

"I've been asking her the same thing," His voice comes out deep and rough. His irritation with either Landon or me, probably both, clearly present. "But she seems to be rather smitten with your lovely little town." 

I smile up at him.

"Yeah, well. Way to make me feel welcome, Landon," I roll my eyes with a pout and continue, "But I'm a big girl and can live wherever I want. Plus, it already feels like home here."