17

I nudge Millie's slightly melted ice cream closer to her. She picks it up and starts eating it again as she looks at me expectantly. I run my fingers through my long blonde hair and sigh before deciding to unload my somewhat sad and pitiful story of apparent betrayal onto my new friend.

I can call her that, right?

"So I was living in Houston with my longtime boyfriend, Bradley," I roll my eyes as I picture his stupid good looking face. "We had been together for a while. He asked me to move in with him pretty quickly in our relationship. Before long he was bouncing between jobs and I was constantly having to support him financially. The last six months or so he was jobless. And I was fully supporting him and paying for everything."

"That lazy dick!" Millie murmurs around her spoon.

I laugh and shake my head, "Unfortunately, his dick was the least lazy part about him." Millie's eyes soften and she reaches out to take my hand which has fully abandoned what was left of my ice cream.

I hate when it gets all melted and soupy. Gross.

"Three nights ago I got off work early, and I walked in on him with my best friend. Although, I suppose she wasn't much of a friend," I say as I blink back my fake tears. 

Man, I'm good.

I clear my throat before I continue with my sad little story, "I packed my things into my car and took off. I just drove. I had no idea where I was going. I just needed to get out of that town. Everything would remind me of him, or of Portia and I just couldn't handle it." My voice cracks as I finish.

Damn, someone give me an Oscar for this performance!

"Anyway, Landon found me on the side of the road and brought me here." 

Millie is looking at me like she may burst into tears at any moment. I continue as I give her a genuine smile, "But I got to meet you, and this town is so charming. I'm honestly so happy my car crapped out when it did. This is a perfect place to start over." I take a deep breath and look out the window to watch the tourists wander through the streets. "Plus, Bradley gets to fend for himself, or have Portia pick up the tab. His name was on everything, it was just my money that paid for it" 

Millie smiles and shakes her head. "You are handling that so much better than anyone I have ever known."

"I don't think I can really say I'm handling it when I literally run away from my problems," I point out as I return to my melted ice cream to pick out the remaining cookie dough chunks. 

Millie laughs. "Well I for one am thankful that you did. They didn't deserve you and I got you out of the deal, so call me selfish. I'm just happy you're here," She says softly.

I grace her with a genuine smile as my heart disturbingly flutters with warmth from her statement. 

"Okay, enough of that. Let's see what else this town has to offer." Millie agrees with my subject change and giddily pulls me through the doors back onto the street. Apparently there is a lot more for me to see. 

We continue down the street, arms linked together talking and laughing like we've known each other for years. I almost feel as though it's too easy. 

Millie and I pause at an art instillation and sit on a bench facing it in the shade. It sets the perfect moment to play some of the voicemails from Bradley. We both get a good laugh at his expense. He, unlike me, does not have a future in acting. 

Millie decides to head back to the house, taking both of our shopping bags. I decide to explore the main strip and see what my options are for housing in the downtown area. I need to find somewhere to live soon, since I know she will want to have her bed and breakfast fully functional and less limited with a random roommate coming in at all hours. 

A/N: Please vote and comment!