26

"Because the knife in you brings out the LIFE IN MEEEE. A lesson in a slasher's dream. When your number's up it's time to SCREA-"

My beautiful yell-singing is cut off suddenly by the sudden ringing of my phone over the car speakers. I scowl down at the fancy screen in Victor's rental car telling me that he is calling me. I huff, debating on rejecting it.

How dare he interrupt my post murder metal jam session. 

Rude.

I roll my eyes with a growl as I press the button to answer the phone. "Yes, honey?" I say in an overly sweet manner.

Victor chuckles into the phone, "Hello to you, too."

"Whatcha needin'? I was in the middle of decompressing."

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry to interrupt you," He says in a fake apologetic tone that I do NOT appreciate. "Forgive me for interrupting your little screaming match."

I smile to myself as I tap my turn signal and follow the traffic off the exit ramp towards Eureka.

"I'll think about it. You should be very sorry, though," I tell him haughtily. I can practically hear him roll his eyes.

"Right. Well, I wanted to let you know that I've got another job lined up that I'll think you'll especially enjoy. We will get you moved out today before I make the travel arrangements," he says in a business-like manner.

"Moved out? You found something?" I was gone for one night. What sorcery is this?

"Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you that I did. But I really got a lot done while you were away. It's amazing what I can accomplish without you being so needy all the time."

I gasp at his accusation. "Excuse you, sir. I'll have you know that yo-"

I'm cut off again.

"Yes, yes. You're offended by the truth. Whatever. I put a cash offer on a home about a week ago. They've accepted and now we wait," Vic says, sounding very proud of himself.

"Well, as glad as I am that something has finally met your standards, is it one that we looked at together? Have I even seen it? Also, why am I moving out now if I can't move in right away?" I ask feeling a little put out that he just made that decision without me. Like he's going to be the one living there or something.

"Millie's had calls for vacancies, so I helped make the choice to kick you out. Your room has a better view and I wanted it." His blunt statement causes a laugh to bubble out of me. "And, no, I went by myself while you were at work last week. I'm sure you will like it, though. I've got plans for renovations already in line so once you get the keys those changes will begin. I've talked with Carson about his offer to help you if you couldn't find a place. He's got a bunch of small apartments above the bar," Vic says, "He seems eager to have you move in."

I'm honestly speechless. A little pissed about the house, but what's done is done.

But... This means I get to stay. My lips curl up into a smile and I hold back the urge to let a laugh bubble out.

"Okay. So I'm moving then?"

Vic chuckles again, "Yes. Come back to Millie's and we can bring your items over to the apartment. Then we can talk more about the house."

I do a happy shimmy in my seat as I slow to a stop at a stop light. The person in the car next to me shoots me an odd look. I'm too happy about getting to stay to care. We were running out of places and time. Millie has her website up, thanks to Victor, so her business is about to be going strong during the summer season.