8

I'm really enjoying this place so far. This bar is slower paced so I'm able to talk more with the patrons which, let's be honest, is the best part about bartending. I always enjoyed being a sort of therapist to them. My last bar was faster paced, but during the week the crowd would lull a little and I'd get a chance to talk with the regulars. It helps me feel more normal to be able to just talk to people. They usually don't ask me questions since they're focused on their own life and problems, so that's always nice too.

Carson runs a tight ship. That much I can see. He keeps his talking to a minimum, and keeps the drinks flowing for his customers. I noticed he doesn't have any bouncers here. With it being a smaller town I guess they wouldn't have much need for them. Then again, he's a big guy so maybe he is the bouncer.

I can already tell we work well together. It hasn't been more than a couple of hours and we are able to effortlessly work around each other without the need for a lot of verbal communication. The server working the floor, Lilian, is sweet. I've not been able to talk with her much since it is so busy, but I can tell that she's a nice person based on her easy smile. She didn't seem remotely bothered or upset about Emily's sudden departure and replacement.

Before long, Landon shows up at the bar to pick me and Millie up to take us back to the house. It's getting close to closing time. I take a quick second to explain to him that I just started working here and I plan on staying late to help close up shop. Landon didn't seem too happy about having to wait around until we were finished. Millie was already pretty drunk as he escorted her out to his car. I told Landon I'd get a cab or something and not to worry I'd figure something out. He grumbled about just staying to give me a lift. He was trying to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but I knew better. It was late and I'm sure he was tired.

"You can tell him to go ahead and leave," Carson says as he wipes down glasses behind the bar, "I can give you a lift home."

I give Carson a bright smile and run outside to let Landon know. He seems to hesitate at the thought of Carson driving me but finally relents with a tight smile and a stiff nod. I wave at Millie who is smiling like a drunken fool in the front seat of the car. She waves lazily back at me before resting her head on the window with bleary and unfocused eyes. Yikes. I don't envy her hangover tomorrow.

I walk back into the now empty bar and lock the door behind me. Lilian had left about half an hour ago to go check on her kid who apparently had gotten sick at some point during her shift. I grab a rag and start wiping down tables and picking up the chairs to rest on the table tops. I can feel eyes on me and I know Carson is watching me work. He hadn't given me any instructions for the closing procedures here, but this isn't my first rodeo. I make my way around the bar and finally return to where he is continuing with the dishes.

"Broom? Mop? Anything?" I ask as I start making my way towards the back of the bar. He follows me back and opens the cleaning closet. He says nothing and walks back to his task. After I finish sweeping and mopping the floors I find Carson in the back office running numbers from the night. I glance at the clock and it tells me it is 3 in the morning. I stifle a yawn.

I plop down into one of the chairs in his office and observe him as he works. I can tell my gaze makes him uncomfortable since he keeps shifting in his comfy seat. It makes me smile internally. I finally break the tense silence. "So do I need to prep for the kitchen crew tomorrow?" He looks up from his papers and just stares at me.

"You look tired," He says and then returns his attention to his paperwork. Okay, rude. I roll my eyes.

"That's probably because I am," I respond while yawning. He grunts in response. He finally puts his paperwork down and turns off his desk lamp and looks at me.

"The prep cook will be here in an hour. Then we can leave. I didn't expect you to be so thorough with cleaning, it took longer than I expected. I apologize," He says softly. I nod my head in response as I feel my eyes start to droop. Carson sighs and walks over to the couch in his office and clears the boxes that were sitting on it. He grabs a blanket from the small closet in the room and hands it to me before saying, "Here, get some rest. I've got to go check the store room before they get here."

I nod feeling numb all over. I am so tired. I look up at him before he leaves the room. "So do I leave at 4 when the preps come in or am I out when the bar is clean?" I ask through another yawn. I pretty much just want to know how often I have to pull all-nighters.

Carson looks at me and says, "You can leave once the place is clean. Bar always closes at 2, we reopen at 6 for breakfast. Kitchen closes at 9 each night." I nod in response as I nestle into the couch. I can tell he probably sleeps in here quite often. The old couch was broken in and it smelled like his cologne. 

I am unbelievably comfortable.

"Okay, good luck waking me up," I mumble as I glance up at him with a lazy smirk. We make eye contact for a moment. He chuckles and shakes his head as he closes the door behind him. I drift off to sleep on the world's most comfortable couch.

A/N: Please vote and comment to let me know what you think so far!