Story: Little Kakuzu and CG(?) Hidan

It was in a shinobi's nature to be a light sleeper.  When one is partnered with another, they will often fall into a routine of each sleeping half the night while the other keeps watch. It doesn't take long for the second shift to learn to wake up on their own.

Hidan was the second shift between himself and Kakuzu. Around two thirty he blinked himself awake, to the sight of Kakuzu sitting in the dim starlight. He looked so much softer than he usually did; not a stiff line on his face and eyes staring listlessly into the ground. His posture too betrayed his mental state: his knees were drawn up by his chest, his arms wrapped around them, finger mindlessly picking at the slit near his elbow.

"Hey Kakuzu."

The little boy stiffened before looking over at his partner.

"Come over here, buddy." Hidan raised his arms awkwardly, as they had been bound by Kakuzu at sundown. (Kakuzu never trusts Hidan during the night. Hidan has come to hate it less.)

Kakuzu crawled over to where he lay and flopped down next to him. "Ah you seepy?"

Hidan tried not to laugh. He could never get used to hearing that voice coming out of Kakuzu's mouth. "Nah, I just got up."

"Sometimes when I get up I'm stiww seepy."

"It happens."

Tentatively, Kakuzu reached out and touched Hidan's hair. "How do you make youw haiw like dat?"

"It's just water. It dries and stays in place." He smiled at Kakuzu poking and pinching it.

"In da mowning, can we do my haiw like dat?"

"Pssh. If you want, little 'kuzu."

Kakuzu nodded. He retracted his hand, settling into his elbow and closing his eyes.

"Are you ready to sleep baby boy?"

"I'm not a baby."

Hidan sat up and scooted closer. Kakuzu's head rested against his thigh, and he contorted to run his fingers through Kakuzu's hair.

"If you say so."

//////

something smol and sweet for the fellow zombie fans. i had the random desire for very little kakuzu so here is this!

also sorry to the people who are waiting for requests, i have very little motivation these days and even less for characters who i don't love with an undying passion. sorry again ^^' im working on it