Story: Little Itachi and Deidara

Modern AU! "The Akatsuki" is a boarding house all the members live in during college. Itachi has depression in this story.

////////

It always sucked when the sky decided to open up the only day of the week Deidara had off both work and classes. He wanted to go out, dammit! But he hated driving in the rain, and no one else was around except Itachi, whose license was suspended.

He sighed. No need to waste the day, though. He took the kandi beads from his desk, some elastic string and a pocket knife, and headed downstairs. The new season of Real Housewives of Konoha was on Netflix finally and there was no use for him to watch it on his tiny laptop screen when the house had a 46" flatscreen to share.

The rain made such a racket that Deidara couldn't hear that someone was already using the TV. He slipped in, and was surprised to see Blue's Clues playing. The blanket lump on the couch hid its self, making just enough noise to alert Deidara it was there. He paused the TV before investigating the lump.

Picking one corner of the blanket up revealed a strand of long, greasy hair. "Itachi?" he called quietly.

Itachi shuffled around. "I was having me time."

"Pfft. Well don't let me interrupt you." He put the bead supplies on the side table and sat down beside him. He even laid his leg down invitingly.

He unpaused the program. "Catch me up, what is Blue doing?"

Itachi readjusted so just the top of his head poked out of the blanket and rested against Deidara's thigh. "Vey waw wooking fow Bwue in the cwoset."

"Oh really." Deidara ran his fingers through Itachi's hair. It wasn't greasy like he thought at first, it was wet from a shower. Oh Itachi. For most people taking a shower wasn't a big deal,  just part of the routine. But for Itachi, after a week of staying under the covers in his room, only eating what Kisame put in front of him and only getting up to use the bathroom maybe once a day, it was reason to celebrate.

Deidara tilted his bead organizer to his housemate. "I'm gonna make you a bracelet. What colors do you want?"

Itachi contemplated. "Can oo make one dat wooks wike dango?"

"Totally." He gave Itachi's head a few more strokes before going to work. He strung green, white, and pink together over and over, digging Itachi's wrist out of the blanket for measuring before tying it off. "There you go, baby."

"Fank oo." He rolled it onto his wrist before sitting up. "'An I make one for oo?"

"For sure, dude." He set the organizer between them, and upon realizing his only cutting implement was the knife, he cut a length for Itachi himself. "Do you want me to tie the first bead off for you?"

"No, I got it." It took him a few tries, but he did tie it. Deidara's bracelet had yellow, white and red. Itachi measured it on his wrist, and added a few more rounds before tying it again. "Hew oo go."

"Fank you, baby." He put his bracelet on. "Are you hungee?"

"Mm." He nodded.

"Okay. Keep beading, I'm gonna pop some of that caramel corn we bought."

Two minutes later he returned to the den. Itachi had broken into the glitter beads and was stringing a rainbow.

Deidara snuggled up to him. Itachi put his string down and tore into the caramel corn; it almost made Deidara laugh. He assumed if he was eating like a bird for the past five days he would be inhaling any food he was given as well.

Once Itachi's belly was satisfied, he reached for the remote and handed it to Deidara. "Wanna watch a movie?"

"Sure." He pulled up the selection screen. "Woah, they put the Muppets movies on here. Dude, I know it's February, but do you mind if we watch Muppets Christmas Carol?"

"'Eah. It's da best one."

"You said it."

Deidara continued picking at the popcorn as song rolled into scene and ghost rolled into ghost. Itachi snuggled into his lap, and the hand that wasn't in the popcorn stroked Itachi's hair. 

Kisame found them not long after the movie was over, softly dozing against each other.