Chapter Four- The Hat can't sing

Rosalyn's POV

A few minutes later, the doors were pushed open, likely by magic. 'The doors were way too big to be just pushed open, except for maybe by Mr. Hagrid. He seemed very strong.' mused Rosalyn.

Standing in the doorway was a tall lady with black hair pulled back into a bun and emerald green robes. (apparently in the first book, that's how mcgonagall is described) She pursed her lips upon seeing them.

"You're late."

"Sorry, Professor McGonagall." said Mr. Hagrid, looking almost small in the face of Professor McGonagall's disapproving stare.

"Well, nevermind that, Hagrid. I'll take the first years from here." said the professor, flicking her wand to push the doors wider, as Mr. Hagrid disappeared, most likely going back to the rest of the school, wherever that was.

They followed Professor McGonagall through the halls, before going into a small room off the hall.

(the following bit is taken directly from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Yes, im american. I have only tweaked it to fit my story, but know that the majority of what follows does not belong to me. I will tell you when I have stopped copying. I will actually do this for the majority of the speeches.)

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. 'The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. (by the way, this isn't actually prejudice, it's alphabetical order! The more you know..)Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

(Im glad i didn't have to type that. I found a pdf and copy pasted it😅)

Her eyes fell on Weasley's smudged nose, and Longbottom's crooked cloak, before turning on her heel and entering a door that Rosalyn swore hadn't been there before.

(ok, it is no longer being copied, but I will tell you when I'm copying again.)

The other first years began to mutter between themselves about the onslaught of information they had just been given.

Rosalyn caught Harry's eye, and they both slipped into the back of the crowd.

"Did James ever mention how the Sorting works?" Rosa asked in a low voice.

Harry furrowed his brow. " I don't think so, but nobody else seems to know what happens either, so I reckon we'll be fine."

Before Rosalyn could reply, she felt a cold, almost slightly moist, air go through her. Her head whirled around, catching sight of several white figures coming through the wall she and Harry had been leaning against. She dove to the side, Harry copying her actions, in an attempt to avoid that cold feeling.

Someone shrieked from the middle of the crowd, and everyone else turned to see the white figures, 'ghost', she thought.

The ghost that had walked- glided?- through her turned back, smiling softly. She had dark hair, or at least darker compared to the rest of her, that fell down her back in soft waves. It was likely black in her time, but now it was a dark smokey grey(I'm going to use this spelling because they're British) She was older, but quite young compared to the rest of the ghosts.