1-15. The Birthday Party

"Are you feeling nervous?" Annie asked me with a hint of worry on her face. "Now, make sure your hat is on correctly, and come here, I'll fix your hair-"

I stood still as Annie carefully arranged some of my loose sky-blue hairs and tucked them behind my ear. She squealed with joy as she finished. I looked into the mirror, a magic tool created with ice that let me see my reflection.

I looked becoming of a prince, not too shabby, I supposed. I looked like a little boy in one of those old European noble paintings. Cute, little and so easily breakable. The silver and white coat I had on brought out my eyes, but it was also stiff, making me feel uncomfortable. My gray eyes were dull. I looked at Annie for a moment. So oblivious, I noted.

"Are you coming with me?" I asked her.

Annie shook her head, and her head drooped like wilted leaves. Servants couldn't go to a noble ball, I remembered, unless it was to serve the guests. Annie wasn't a noble. It was a pity. I asked Mother for permission multiple times, but she still didn't agree in the end. I had to go alone. Without anyone there next to me.

"It's your fifth birthday." Annie's voice was soft. "Have fun."

I doubted whether even Annie believed in that sentence.

There were few things as important as the fifth birthday, which was the day a noble child would first step out towards noble society. It was a birthday party for noble children, after which we would be accepted as part of society. Said so by the marchioness. It was basically just a signal saying 'I can go to important social events with my parents and make friends now'.

It was one of the major milestones in life. There were still around three more to go. After my birthday, three months after, there would be the Magic Attribute ceremony, aka the Testing. I already felt tired just thinking about it. I still wasn't successful in obtaining a mana core, and I already knew my mana attribute, so the testing wasn't something I was looking forward to or was curious about.

I yawned. After that was the Holy ceremony, or baptism at my ten-year birthday, but there were still five years left for that one. The debut at 16 was even more far away. I could wriggle myself out of the twin's birthdays, so I was pretty sure that was it.

The doors of the ballroom opened. The guards bowed in greeting. I gave a nod. One of them gestured for me to walk forward. And now it starts, I mentally thought.

"It is His Highness, the second prince of the country of Faehnrut, the family of Audrey, Prince Elian."

The voice was loud, announcing my name and my status as the curtains of my reality were thrust apart. It was the first time I had ever been to a noble gathering, so it was even more impactful somehow. It was bright, so blinding as light seeped through the door.

There were so many nobles below. I walked slowly down the stairs with my chin held high, my curiosity concealed behind my icy eyes. Gems on dresses and necklaces and fancy clothes glittered, making my eyes even more strained. I blinked slowly. There were so many people in such a gigantic ballroom. It was making me feel small.

Mother was in the distance, along with Kai and my other siblings, sitting on the high seat, not paying attention to the numerous nobles below. Heaps of boxes were on top of a table, which were presents and gifts from noble families. A wrinkle automatically appeared on my forehead.

I walked with a practiced gait, a simple but respectful one that showed my royal bearing, or I hoped it did. It was what my instructor had taught me to do, though I wasn't apparently that good with such etiquette. I was made by the marchioness to forcibly work on it to make it at least average now. I bowed slightly, lowering my hat to my chest.