25. Waking Up

My eyes opened, weak shimmers of light flowed between the cracks. I was suddenly aware of my own heartbeat, and I breathed in and out, facing up at the ceiling. This place, I had no idea where it was, but it was definitely not my room. It was somewhere else. Where was I? How long was I unconscious for?

I looked at the bright morning sunlight blocked by curtains, the fancily colored yet simply decorated interior, and lay back down on the unfamiliar bed under my body, which ached a little. My fingers touched something long and smooth and I looked down. What were these things?

I looked down onto the blanket to see sky blue strands of hair. I reached up to my head to see that these strands of hair were indeed connected to my head. My face turned blank. I studied my hands, which seemed a bit larger and paler than usual.

The door opened. "Your Highness!"

I turned around to see a priestess with a surprised and joyous expression. She was wearing a long priestess robe. Looking around thirty or forty years older than I was, she walked over. Her expression turned serious and stern.

"Your vitals and heart rate indicates no illness." The priestess said. "There doesn't seem to be any sort of problem."

I noticed my butler, Bertram, walking in from the door. His eyes widened. My eyes calmed down and became colder after seeing him.

"Your Highness!"

"I'm fine."

The priestess nodded, then looked as if she was pondering something. Bertram looked at her nervously.

"I recommend rest, your Highness." She pursed her lip, a small wrinkle formed on the healer's forehead.

"How much time has passed?" I wove my hands through the wavy hair on my head, which was so long that even while sitting up it reached the duvet, passing my waist. Even when I was a girl, I never had hair this long. Before I fell unconscious, the hair on my head didn't even completely cover my ears, so a long time must have passed.

The priestess hesitated.

"Three and a half years, your Highness." It was Bertram who spoke. I looked at him dismissively, then turned back to the priestess, who looked somewhat uncomfortable in my presence.

"And where exactly is this?"

"The Rose Palace, your Majesty."

But this wasn't my room.

"The rooms were changed, to aid in your Highness's repercussion." Was Bertram's answer to the question. I sighed and laid down on my bed again. As the two left, a small but also sad smile crossed my face.

Three years. Three years had passed since I blacked out. I was now nine. And not just any nine year old. My hands rubbed together as I called upon the mana inside my body, which was sluggish in it's movements.

I had a mana core. A giant, whirling mana core that encompassed nearly half of my body size, leaking mana at a beautiful rate. I took the risk, finally, I had been presented my returns. I raised my index finger into the air.

Wind.

I let the mana in my finger release into the air, and it whirled around like a mini tornado. The gentle flow of a breeze crossed my cheek, and I lay back down on my bed. The chirping of birds lulled me to sleep again.

_____Kai_____

From when he was born, Kai was smart. Everyone said so. His maids, the servants, the nursemaid, everyone.