Chapter 1

Birds were chirping in the distance. Cordelia stirred on the bed, reaching over to find an empty bed. James had woken before her, as he usually did. She stumbled out of her bed, rubbing her eyes. Throwing on a simple blue gown, she fixed her deep red hair hastily and went downstairs.

James, a plate of biscuits lain before him, was moaning and murmuring to himself, an arm thrown over his head. He looked in pain. She widened her deep brown eyes and walked over, hands stretched in front of her. James saw her and took her hands, curling his soft, warm fingers around her own.

"What is wrong?"Cordelia asked worriedly.

James smiled weakly. "Fine, just a bit dizzy."

"Is this of your connection to Belial?"

"I am afraid so," Tessa's voice came echoing from the Institute doors. She came down and sat opposite them. "Institutes all around the world have been reporting mysterious kidnappings. We don't have any proof it is Belial, but it might be. It hasn't gotten to London yet, but..." Tessa trailed off in deep thoughts. Will strolled over to Tessa, who led her out of the room, both whispering quietly to each other.

"I hope not, tonight is the party for Matthew at the Institute. James, maybe you should go and rest."

"Really, I feel much better-"

"Please rest. What if you faint in a fight?"

"And what are the odds of that happening?"

She groaned and ushered him downstairs, their words echoing down the corridor. Cordelia brought him some soup from Bridget and he sat in bed, nose in a book like always. He fell asleep at about 3 in the afternoon and Cordelia watched him sleep. He was like a little prince in that way, he looked innocent and tiny. She had nearly dozed off before James gave a gasp, a rather loud one too, and sat up bolt straight in the bed, the sheets somehow wet with sweat.

"James! Are you alright? You were perfectly fine five seconds ago!"

"No, Daisy, don't worry, please-"

"No! I won't leave you feeling sick and weak!"

She hastily wrote a letter to Matthew, telling him to come over immediately. She wrote one to Christopher, Thomas, Alastair and even Grace. She knew that Grace cared for James, though the time she was there, Matthew would've bitten her head off. A few minutes later, Matthew burst through the doors like a perfect person, Thomas was twitching an eyebrow at Alastair, and Grace was walking a feet away from them, her head looking down at the marble floor. Grace explained that Christopher was busy and couldn't come, while scowling. Cordelia wondered how she knew that, when she asked her, she rolled her eyes and muttered something about being Charles's fiancé. Grace immediately rushed to James's aid and Matthew stood there, trying not to open his mouth.

"Sometimes, I think she may be an alien from outer space coming to destroy our world," Matthew said, glaring at Grace as she fussed over James. James was batting her hand away. "She's not even his wife."

"Ah, so I should be rushing to his aid a lot," Cordelia drawled. "'Ah James here's some hot soup. Ah here's some hot towels.'"

"Did you do that?"

"Maybe, maybe not," she said, and set her jaw stubbornly. She didn't want Matthew to find out she was desperately in love with James, more than Grace ever could love him. She sighed and went to gaze at James and Grace. They looked like the dream team. She was sure James didn't love her, and it would be only 6 more months before she would sue him for divorce. Biting her lip, she tried not to look at James and Grace, while wondering where Lucie was. Her future parabatai had been gone for ages, and she couldn't seem to find her. Matthew had a party at the Institute tonight and she wanted her to be there.

"Oh, Lucie," she thought dreadfully.

Life was not like in books. The characters were so brave. Life was too bad for good.