Chapter 12

'Jasmine, I don't have that much money."

'Oh, pish posh! Your mother is the Consul, she won't mind."

"Yes, she will."

Jasmine pushed Matthew through the busy streets of Paris, buying jewellery.

"Jasmine," Matthew said. "It's getting close to our wedding."

"Well...of course, and I adore you. There would be no other person perfect for me."

He held her in his arms and walked her slowly back to the flat.

"When I met Cordelia, I thought...stunning, absolutely stunning. But when I met you? Gorgeous, incredibly gorgeous."

"Do you remember how you met me?"

"Yes. I was extremely drunk and you were sitting on the bed like a gothic princess."

"You know, I wasn't always a Shadowhunter."

"Really? You seem perfect for the role."

"But, my parents, Ximena and Jackson Penhallow adopted me from a mundane orphanage. I was only 2. But I was worthy of ascension. But the moment my parents held me in my arms, for once in my life, I felt at home. And since my father died-"

"Your father is dead?"

"Yes, but he was a good man. I suppose. He ran the Institute in Shanghai before he gave the role away. He had only had the role for 4 years. I thought my parents and my father were the best parents and family, but they weren't always."

"I can relate."

"I know you can," she said and punched him in the bicep. "But apparently, when both my parents died in a fight against a huge demon, the Silent Brothers tore open their bodies and found traces of yin fen and other drugs. I was angered. Horrified. They raised me to never eat drugs because they would destroy your lie and shorten it. But they were taking drugs themselves."

She was quivering as they walked.

"Maybe," Matthew inquired. "Maybe they wanted you to have a good future. They probably wanted to see you grow up."

"But why would they take yin fen? I hate them, I could not believe I ever thought they were powerful people."

"Yin fen is a curse. A curse, Jazzi. One of my uncles had an addiction and had to become a Silent Brother. He was James' father's parabatai."

"One of the brothers mentioned it. Brother Zachariah."

"Exactly. Yin fen is made from vampire venom and is made at first to heal people quicker. But the more you take, it becomes more of an addiction and becomes a part of life. They could remove it but not always."

"Must've not been strong enough." She hunched her back and pivoted on her heel.

He opened the door to the flat/apartment.

"Be happy for the last few days of being an unmarried woman. You'll need it."

"Will I?"

"Of course you will. Jasmine, you've been so stressed lately."

"I suppose I could use some relaxing spas."

They both began to laugh and cry and speak all their secrets until the uncivil sun fell down into the sea.

"You know, Math," Jasmine said when she was tucked under some bedsheets. "It's very close to Lucie and Cordelia's parabatai ceremony."

"Tomorrow I am going to buy them 2 of those adorable necklaces you picked out. And one for you, of course," he said, starting to take off his shirt. "Good night, Jasmine, darling."

"Night."