Viola I

{face clam: Anna Taylor-Joy}

Boulders, rivers, and a whole lot of green races passed me as I ran through the damp forest. The trees blurred as I focused all my senses on it. That scent. The blood of the puma filled my nostrils, rendering me incapable of noticing the details of my surroundings.

Suddenly my vision sharpened as my prey came into view. That stupid cat, just lounging there in the sun, oblivious to the fact that it was breathing in the last air that would ever grace it's lungs.

And then I lunged.

°°°

As Maria in Sound of Music once said, "Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start."

My name is Viola Hale and I have been dead for 112 years.

I realize that my previous statement may alarm people, so let me clear things up. No I am not a ghost speaking to you from the grave, nor am I a mental patient. I am simply a vampire. Not that that is any less alarming than the first two examples.

Im 128 years old in all, but I look like your average 16 year old. Only extremely pale, and with golden eyes. So, not exactly like your average 16 year old at all.

°°°

"Did you get him?" My brother Edward called from the tree he was perched on. His voice had a slight edge to it. Looks like I just stole his dinner. I grinned and looked at him.

"Yeah, looks like you'll need to find your own."

"You could have let me have him you know." Edward said as he jumped down, "I'm going out with Bella tonight and I don't want to risk..."

"Yes, yes, yes. I know." I said while rolling my eyes, "You've told me a hundred times."

The wind shifted and the smell of the dead puma at my feet was whipped away. Instead, a new scent hit me like a bulldozer. Human blood. My muscles went rigid and I felt the monster inside of me struggle to take over.

"Viola" I heard Edward say, but his voice sounded far off.

The bonds of my willpower holding the monster in check snapped and I turned in the direction of my prey. Ready for the kill.

I started to run, but I was knocked to the ground by my brother.

'He wants to take the human from you' the monster cooed, 'Don't let him take it.'

A snarl escapes my lips and I turned to Edward, prepared to attack. As I locked eyes with him, I had a moment of clarity. With the last ounce of willpower I owned, I tore myself away from him, and the scent of the human.

Fuck.

112 years as a vampire and still I had the self control of a newborn.

I held my breath as I ran through the forest. I couldn't risk crossing paths with more innocent hikers. The puma had only dampened my thirst, and the scent of a human in my hunting territory had been too much.

~Moonlight_Scribe713