Chapter 3

Ever since Whole Foods started hanging out with Kroger and Walmart, Costco had become much nicer. And while Walmart found this a little odd, they certainly weren't complaining.
Their mind drifted to Target as they waited for class to begin and they were jerked away from their dreamy thoughts by Professor Marshall clearing their throat to make an announcement.
"Today we have a new transfer student. Please welcome Buc-cees's."
A cowboy looking person strode into class.
"Howdy y'all." They greeted with a thick southern accent.
Several people gushed and swooned but some of the more popular people just rolled their eyes.
Aside from the new student the morning was relatively boring and Walmart found themself counting down the seconds to lunch, glad when it finally came.
Whole Foods was the first to address the arrival of the new student.
"They've got an awfully thick accent dont they?"
Walmart nodded but Kroger just mumbled a "I think it's cool."
A few tables away where Target was sitting, Buccees was being harassed and bombarded with questions about where they were from. Someone accidentally pushed Costco out of their seat and they tumbled to the floor. Seeing their seat was taken by one of Buccees new fans, they noticed Walmart's table and began walking over; sitting down in the chair next to Whole Foods.
"Stupid country boy." They grumbled.
In spite of Costco seeming to have no violent intentions, Walmart couldn't help but be a little scared. Whole Foods noticed their shaking and spoke up.
"Are you okay?"
Walmart glanced at Costco who was glaring at Buccees.
"Um yeah..."
Costco finally averted their eyes and made eye contact with Walmart. A look of guilt crossed their face.
"Hey listen I-" they began but were interrupted by Kroger who had been shooting daggers at them.
"Who do you think you are sitting here like you're our friend?"
Costco went silent and Walmart awkwardly fidgeted with their hands. Whole Foods just looked confused.
"Listen I'm really sorry about everything and I know an apology won't cut it-"
Walmart could detect desperation and genuine ty in their voice and made a decision then and there.
"Forgive and forget. Let's start over."
Costco stopped speaking and gave Walmart a grateful look, Walmart could tell they had changed and were different now.
"I'm Walmart."
"Costco."
"I'm confused..." Whole Foods said, clearly lost in the conversation.
"Don't worry about it." Walmart said with a reassuring smile. Kroger was still visibly angry but shrugged it off and continued eating their food.
Walmart had mended a broken bridge today... and perhaps it would lead to others. Maybe they didn't have to be so different after all.