❃.✮:▹COMMON◃:✮.❃

4th January 1931

The morning sun rose in silence but towards the afternoon the voices of protest overtook the charge.The protest against the MIGHTY BRITISH was being carried out in full swing in Tulsipur. Such protests were even carried out in other parts of Bengal, even in Kolkata, the capital but were suppressed successfully by the British since they had the support of Indian zamindars and rich families of the areas but in Tulsipur, there was a somersault in the situation as the zamindars of Tulsipur-The Roy chowdharys were standing beside the protestors and not the British.

The protest was being carried out by the masses consisting of peasants, labourers and factory workers. This year, due to an unexpected disease, the crops were destroyed but this was not enough for the British, they were keen on destroying the lives of various families by burying the farmers under their heavy tax rules. The labourers and factory workers were made to work in harsh conditions but the wages they were paid seemed like a needle in a haystack. After many peaceful discussions with the incharge of taxation department of Bengal, the common people were left hopeless.The last option they had to adopt was Protest.

Leaving their families and homes, these workers protested for fifteen days continuously in front of British office at Tulsipur.
Their pleas were unheard and the protestors were left unseen.

Trilochan Roy Chowdhary, the zamindar of Tulsipur favoured these protestors and even tried settlement with British but it didn't work even. He, then decided to provide financial aid to families of the protestors till they were busy in the revolt. Anirudh and Bondita went on to help them by taking over the matter legally but they were denied any help from government.Even, Binoy who never paid any heed to these matters tried getting aid from his known British officers but even he was neglected this time. The British wanted only profit resulting in inhumane treatment of common people.The protest soon turned into a SATYAGRAH
movement.

20th January, 1931

It was an ordinary day filled with cries of protest and hopelessness dominated the atmosphere of Tulsipur.
It was evening when the Deenpur court was being shut.Anirudh and Bondita were standing outside the court discussing about their plan to convince government for a relief for the farmers. An announcement was heard and their faces beamed with joy as they had found a way to reach their goal.
In no time, they stood outside the Grand Viceroy Mansion of Tulsipur. They were staring at the pocket watch Anirudh had. It struck six. And remembering the announcement, they both exchanged a smile. The announcement was about the visit of governor of Bengal to Tulsipur in order to check the distorted political situation there. Anirudh and Bondita thought that he may listen to their pleas and genuinely help them. Satisfactorily, they went in and asked the guard to inform the Governor that Roy Chowdharys wanted to meet him urgently.
The governor agreed to meet and in an instant he walked downstairs to meet them in the Hall. Anirudh and Bondita greeted him saying, "Good evening sir. "
He thought that they wanted to help the British to get taxes from farmers as most zamindars would do in such a situation. He immediately welcomed them, made them seated on a sofa and asked the servants to serve them juice. Without wasting a moment, Anirudh stood up and started explaining that he wanted the governor to help him and grant relief to farmers and other workers too. The governor was shocked expecting the complete opposite of the reality.

He asked them, "Why do want those farmers to be relieved? "

Anirudh patiently answered, "They are our people, common people about whom the government does not care, neither are they understood nor helped. "

"Exactly! That's what I want to say Mr. Roy Chowdhary. The are common people and you are not one of them. You are a zamindar and on top of that a well educated barrister, don't you understand where your profit lies? Those common people are uneducated, useless,filthy Villagers,you should not worry about them" said Lord Governor.