*♡∞:。.。COST。.。:∞♡*  

The guards were standing in a queue on the platform of Delhi's railway station,beside the train which was being sent off with honour to some undiscovered but existing place.....

The sounds of gunshots were heard. At the same time merry sounds of celebration of victory were also heard.
The air was filled with sparks of laughter but cries were not left unheard.

The trains were juggling between two junctions tirelessly. The ox cart trains were running at the maximum speed possible.

The houses, havelis, shops and properties were locked.Sad Stillness prevailed in those houses whose walls had colourful drawings made by children who had once lived there.

The trains arrived at their destination, the same undiscovered but existing place. The trains were full completely. There was not even a little space to stand inside the train or even on the roof of the train.
Amid this, there was something that no eyes had courage to witness and if they witness, they would surely never dare to open again....

The trains were full of different types of people. No, not people of different religions, colour, gender or caste but people out of which many were dead, some were living, and some were in state between life and death.

The dead bodies lay rotting under the sun in the streets. Children, crying and only crying could be heard.

The painful cries of women from the houses were heard. After that, these cries were replaced by their unstoppable sobbing and tears. Some women were seen hanging themselves to death, some jumping from the first floor, some slitting their wrist with knife.Unfortunately, neither the ones alive were fortunate nor the ones dead. Those who were alive were brutally molested by gangs of men and the dead ones saved themselves from this but the cost was their life.

A joint family of about twelve members was seen taking their luggage out of their house but a few people stood outside their house warning them not to take even a penny with them. The family members left the luggage there and escaped. They travelled some length of their journey on foot and noticed that the youngest member of their family, their sixteen year old daughter Siya was missing.No,they didn't start running here and there in her quest instead wiped the tears brimming their eyes and walked further towards Charda. The situation was such that it compelled a family to forget their daughter. This was not the story of a single family but most of the families at that time.

Those people had not eaten even a morsel but were travelling between those two junctions without stopping for a moment.

✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤✤

The table of Anirudh's study was completely messed up. On the table, there were many pocket as well as wrist watches placed as if somebody was waiting for these watches to announce a particular hour of the night.

The watches beeped together. Anirudh and Bondita who were busy in their work in the study, stood up and ran towards the door of their haveli.When they opened the door, it seemed that they were breathing in the air for the first time. Sweets were being distributed and people were dancing. Anirudh-Bondita joined them too.

Next morning, Anirudh and Bondita were preparing something. It was basically a handmade metal frame which was prepared by them. The frame had a combination of three colours. The only thing left was the parchment which would adore the frame. Yes, a parchment,not a photograph.

Bondita asked, "Where is today's newspaper, Pati babu? "

Anirudh came running from outside. He had the newspaper in his hand. Anirudh held the frame and Bondita inserted the front page of newspaper,pasted on a thick sheet,into the frame. Together, they held the frame and hung it on the wall of the study where Anirudh-Bondita's barrister photograph was seen earlier.
Anirudh exclaimed, "Bondita, pehle iss diwar par sirf hamara sapna tha aur ab purre desh ka h aur dono hi sach ho gye hain."

Bondita's eyes glistened listening to his words. She was watching the frame. In her eyes, the image of the parchment reflected.
The reflection read....

~Indian express~

(15th August, 1947)

India celebrates Independence
................................

.
.
.
.
.
.

The ice-cold drops of water fell on her eyes. Her body shivered.She opened her eyes and was about to fall off the bed when Anirudh held her. She was constantly murmuring something. Anirudh's eyes, by now had turned into a pool of tears.
Anirudh, in anger, asked her, "What is this, Bondita?I am trying to wake you from past fifteen minutes and you were not even responding as if you were... His voice started choking.

Bondita immediately hugged him and whispered in a slow but audible voice, "Sab khatam ho gya. Khushi mili par dard ke baadlon talle ghir gyi vo khushi. Humein bahut bari kimat chukani pari... "
Anirudh, being surprised asked her, "Kiski kimat aur kya kimat, Bondita? "
Bondita replied, "Azaadi ki. "

Anirudh was unable to comprehend what she meant.She,picking her saree a few inches above her feet ran towards the hall. She saw Bihari holding a newspaper. She quickly snatched the newspaper from him. The newspaper was dated 15th August, 1932.
She took a sigh of relief as the most dreadful scenes she saw were just a part of her dream.

»»--⍟--««

The dream,Bondita dreaded became the reality as we all know. The place to which train was being sent off with honour was now discovered, which we all now know as Pakistan. The two junctions between whom the population was exchanged, we now know as India and Pakistan.

One India, now two nations-India and Pakistan.
One Punjab, now two halves-Charda Punjab and Lehnda Punjab.
One Bengal, now two halves-Bengal and Bangladesh.

The independence of India was not a document of transfer of power but an emotion of Indians but not all Indians were able to live their emotion due to the unfortunately famous- Partition of India.

The cost of Independence were the millions of lives lost.

Religions were glorified but Humanity died. It could not survive in the fire of discrimination and differences.

★★★

Hello, readers!!!
How was the chapter?
Please give your reviews in the comments. I really want to read your opinions in the comments.

If you really liked the chapter, go and vote!!!!

Thank you♡