Chapter 3

Jonah's POV:
Where was I? I didn't know anymore. How much time has passed? I couldn't remember anymore. All I knew was I was lost, looking for my beloved brother. Luka was missing and Catherine was gone too. I hoped she was somewhere safe. But what if she was caught by the Magic Tower? Or worse?

"I shouldn't think like that. Catherine may be a woman. But I know she's strong. I'm sure she's hiding somewhere safe or she's looking for me."

Soon I heard some voices in the distance. The voices were very quiet and barely audible so I couldn't tell whose voices it was. I had to be careful. It could be a trap after all. Slowly and quietly, I moved closer to the source of the voices and hid behind a tree. There were two disciples of the Magic Tower. Luckily, they didn't see me. "Should I risk my life and try to take them down? Or should I try to get away from here?"

It wouldn't make much sense to fight them. "I'm not exactly weak. But I'm sure they have one or two Magic Crystals each. I'm defenseless against Magic." That only left one option: retreat. I looked back at the disciples before I walked away, as quietly as I could. I still had no clue where Luka could be. He escaped the attack, that was all I knew. And Catherine's sister, Cassandra, escaped with him.

"Normally I don't care about anyone in the Black Army, except for Luka, but Cassandra is Catherine's older sister, and she would be very sad if her sister is dead. That means I have to make sure to find them both alive."

Soon the sun started setting and I had to find a place to stay for the night. "I can continue looking for Luka tomorrow morning."

*The next Morning*

I woke up to the sound of footsteps nearing my position. Someone was there. I quickly grabbed my sword, ready to fight. "Who goes there?" "I come in peace, Queen of Hearts." That voice! Could it be? "Show yourself!" The person in question entered the cave I was in. It was Catherine. She was there, right in front of me. "I finally found you, Jonah. I was so scared." Catherine ran up to me and hugged me tightly. "I'm right here, beautiful. You don't have to be scared." Catherine nodded and leaned her head against my chest. I held her close to me, stroking her hair softly. She loved getting her hair stroked.

"It feels nice to be back in your arms. It's been weeks." I nodded and kissed her forehead. "Catherine, please answer me honestly. Have you seen Luka anywhere?" Catherine shook her head. "I haven't. And I haven't seen Cassandra either. But there are rumors Luka might be dead already." "Luka? Dead? There's no way my sweet brother is dead already." "I'm sure he would complain about you again if he could hear you."

"Who's there!?" I quickly covered Catherine's mouth with my hand and slowly walked backwards, deeper inside the cave. "I know someone's there! Show yourself!" The person had such a demanding tone, and I couldn't recognize their voice. "Stay quiet, Catherine." I whispered to her. Catherine nodded and didn't make a sound. "I don't mind waiting all day for you to show yourself to me." Their tone changed. It was calmer and patient. And it sounded like...

(I can't lose my composure now. That person tries to trick me like that.) "Jonah? What's wrong?" I heard Catherine whisper. "It's nothing." I answered quietly. "To think my foolish brother would hide from me." The person said again.

(That's not Luka! It's not him! It can't be!) "Whoever you are, stop trying to trick me like this! It won't work!" "I knew someone was there!" Right after the person stopped talking, a Magic arrow flew towards us, but I was able to block it with my sword. "I should've known it would be difficult to trick the mighty Queen of Hearts." "What did you do to Luka!?" "Luka? That's your little brother, right? Believe it or not, we didn't do anything to him. Right now, no one knows about his whereabouts. Not even the Magic Tower."

(That's relieving. The Magic Tower didn't get their hands on him.) "But that doesn't mean we're not looking for him ourselves." "Don't even think about laying your dirty hands on him!" Just after I said that an arrow flew past my face and hit the Magic Crystal in the disciple's hand. Looking behind me, I saw Catherine shot the arrow. The Magic Crystal was shattered and useless. "I did it! I hit it!" "Try aiming for his head. Can you do this?" "I can try." I quickly moved over to the disciple and held my sword close to his throat to prevent him from moving. "Do me a favor and try not to hit me, okay?"

Catherine's POV:
I held my bow high and tried aiming for the disciple's head. (Stop shaking, Catherine. You can do this.) I was shaking terribly, fearing I might hit Jonah. "I believe in you, Catherine." I took a deep breath to calm myself and shot the arrow. It took me a moment to understand what happened. The disciple was behind me with his arm around my neck and Jonah was on the ground, holding his shoulder. I failed in the important moment and worst of all I hit the man I loved. "Let her go...!" "Don't worry about me. Bring yourself to safety, Jonah. You have a brother to find, right?" "But I can't leave you behind. You're too important to me." "I'll be fine. So please, save yourself." "I refuse! After months I finally found you again and now you want me to leave you behind?!" "You have to." I pulled a Magic Crystal out of my pocket to teleport Jonah away from here. When he was gone, I dropped the now useless Magic Crystal. "At least you're safe for now." "Don't worry. You'll be reunited with him soon." When the disciple stopped talking, a dagger flew past my face and got stuck in his head. I looked ahead to see who killed him. "Thank you for saving me."

Jonah's POV:
I looked around to see where I was and saw Zero. "Jonah? How did you get here?" "I have to save Catherine!" I was about to walk away when Zero grabbed my hand. "Do have any idea where you have to go? Catherine could be anywhere." I sighed and looked down in defeat. "I finally found her again after months and now I lost her again." "Don't worry. We will find her again one day. And maybe someone saved her already." I took a deep breath to calm myself and looked at him. "You're right. I hope Catherine will be safe. But do you have any clue where the rest of the Red Army is?" "Not at all. Kyle is somewhere in the Central Quarter and Edgar is in the Magic Tower with Charlotte and King Lancelot. But I don't know anything else." "That means all we can do is hope for the best. But what are you doing here, Zero?" "I'm planning a rebellion. We have to take back Cradle from the Jabberwocks." I nodded in agreement. Soon I felt a raindrop on my cheek. We took shelter in a nearby cave and waited for the rain to stop. "It might rain for a few hours." "But it will stop. Just like this era of tyranny will end one day. We will return to Cradle and save its people."

Current Status

Alive
Oliver
Edgar
Sirius
Loki
Blanc
Kyle
Zero
Jonah
Valdis (Ray)
Malloy (Fenrir)

Unconscious
Lancelot
Harr

Missing
Luka
Cassandra

Unknown
Catherine