The House Just Outside The Village.

The house was remote and the family that lived there kept themselves to themselves. The children in the nearby village made up stories such as “the old man keeps his mad wife in the attic” or “their son lives in a bubble so he doesn’t get sick”. Children have such wild imaginations but no one could have imagined what was happening inside the house right now. From the outside it looked as it always did; dark brickwork and wood framed, tall, thin windows gave it a foreboding and imposing feel. The grounds were well kept and the long, gravel driveway always free of weeds. Anyone walking past would have noticed only one difference today; the gun metal grey Lexus on the driveway. Unfortunately for the occupants of the house, nobody did walk past. Nobody ever walked past this house because it was remote and the family that lived there kept themselves to themselves. When they weren’t making up stories about it, the people who lived in the nearest village rarely gave the house a thought. But things were happening inside that house now and soon enough they would all have a lot to say about the house just outside the village whose owners were never seen.

Cassius picked a towel up from the surgical trolley beside him and wiped his hands. He inhaled the scent of blood and watched it seep into the fibres of the cloth, tendrils of red reaching along each strand of cotton. It hadn’t really been necessary, he had gotten the answers he wanted a long time ago but there was only one thing Cassius loved as much as blood and that was inflicting pain. It made the blood taste so much better to his mind, the meal that much more satisfying. He was going to feast tonight. He had the information Elliot had asked for and before he returned to pass it on to his beloved master, he would reap his reward. Each member of the household he had entered earlier that day was now with him in the buildings cellar and each one had given him everything he’d asked for – eventually. Now they had only one more use.

He’d kept them all alive but only just. The meal would be tainted if the hearts weren’t still beating. Each body lay broken and bleeding now at his feet as he slowly and deliberately removed his expensive, tailored suit jacket. He could feel his excitement rising as he undid his platinum cufflinks and unbuttoned his crisp, designer shirt. Cassius took his time, folding his pristine clothing and placing it carefully where it would not be tainted. All this because Cassius didn’t like to simply drink the blood of his kills, no; he wanted to bathe in it. He knelt down on the cold cellar floor and thrust his hands into the deep, crimson pool he had created. He smeared the blood across his chest, growling with pleasure. Elliot’s right hand, so stoic and devoid of expression and emotion released himself to his urges and fell upon his meal with animal abandon. The sound of tearing flesh and the final whimpers of victims who thought they could suffer no more filled the cellar and the house above stood as a silent witness to the horror of the consequences of trying to hide something that Elliot Holt wanted to know.

Hours later, Cassius was at the wheel of his car, his expensive suit unstained, his face once again a closed book.

“Elliot.” his monotone voice activated his phone and the shrill sound of dialing cut through the silence inside the car.

“Cassius.” Elliot’s voice would have chilled the heart of most. Cassius had no such issue, he respected Elliot but he was not afraid of him. He was confident in his role as his master’s right hand. Elliot did not suffer fools and those who made mistakes were harshly punished. Cassius was no fool and he never made a mistake, this assignment was no different. There was only one thing Elliot wanted to hear and it was exactly what Cassius had to say.

“I have the location.”

“Good.” There was a faint click as Elliot hung up and Cassius flexed his hands on the steering wheel. He had enjoyed himself today and he was looking forward to what was to come. He indicated right and a small child holding the hand of his mother as they walked to the local nursery was the only person who watched a gun metal grey Lexus turn out of the high street and quietly leave the village.