Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Florence’s heels clicked on the tarmac as she made her way from her limo to the waiting plane. She boarded swiftly, the only passenger, and settled herself in one luxurious leather seat next to a window. A silent steward placed a coaster and a heavy crystal tumbler of inordinately expensive bourbon on the small, glossy walnut table in front of her. Florence reached out one perfectly manicured hand to bring the glass to her lips. Bourbon of this pedigree was almost as good as fresh blood. Almost, but not quite. It would do until the steward could attend to her real thirst later.

She thought back to her conversation with Elsa Shaw. The young vampire fascinated her, watching her destiny unfold would be – interesting. But interesting was never enough for Florence. She had been around far too long for simply ‘interesting‘ to suffice. To keep her entertained and stave away the crippling boredom that could result from watching human existence tick over for centuries she needed real drama and, to this end, she took a mobile phone from her pocket.

She had liked Sarah Shaw in the same way she now found interest in her daughter. Sarah was different, her life invited drama and her death provoked it. Florence was drawn to people like that and had become a master at manipulating the lives of others for her own entertainment during her long existence. She liked to think she didn’t do much to change events, she simply pushed a few buttons, turned a few signs in the road to face the other way and then sat back and enjoyed the show.

The number dialed, Florence relaxed back in her seat and looked out of the window, they would be taking off soon but the knowledge that this call had been made would keep her mind occupied for at least part of the journey. She idly turned the glass of bourbon in her hand until her call was answered.

“Yes?” A clipped male voice offered no greeting, as she had expected.

“Good morning,” she purred, “May I speak to Elliot Holt?”

“Mr Holt is unavailable.” Again the voice used the minimum of words to make its point.

“I’m sure he is,” Florence replied easily, “But this is regarding the recent and untimely death of his close friend, Vincent Lissner. I believe he will become available once he hears the tragic news.”

There was a pause; she could almost hear the beginnings of panicked tension unfold on the other end of the line. The voice, however, gave nothing away, “One moment.”

Florence smiled. She could imagine Elliot’s face when he received the news. She knew exactly what his reaction would be and she knew what would happen next. She waited a few more seconds.

“Who is this?” A new voice on the line, cold and dangerous. Elliot.

“I am sorry for your loss,” was Florence’s almost taunting reply, she offered no explanation as to who she was, “I’m sure you would like to know what happened.”

“Tell me what you are talking about now or so help me I will find you and I will tear you limb from limb.” Typical Elliot, so much hatred and anger.

“All in good time Elliot,” Florence’s voice was silky smooth; his threats meant nothing to her, “Are you sitting comfortably?”

*Don't forget those votes folks :) Pretty please!*