Friday Evening Lone Drinking.

Marcus was worrying at his thumbnail. Elsa watched as he picked incessantly at the cuticle and felt her pupils dilate as a sliver of blood spread around the edge of the nail. She fished her serum out of her bag and Marcus looked up as she dosed herself, quickly putting his thumb to his mouth to suck the blood away. 

 “Sorry,” he said.

 “It’s fine,” Elsa replied, “It’s my own fault, I haven’t been to Hesper for an adjustment in ages.” Since Morocco. She didn’t seem to need her serum adjusting as often anymore, it was very rare she felt the hunger that had just whispered in her ear like a devil on her shoulder. Hesper was always reminding her and her last email (Elsa had been avoiding her in person) voiced concern that Elsa was risking losing control if she did not allow herself to be more closely monitored. The truth was, Elsa sometimes felt she could manage without the serum all together. It was habit more than anything that made her take her dose, or top it up when the hunger caught her. There had been a few times when she had felt those feelings and the sharpness of her fangs against her lips, that Elsa had simply managed to calm herself without the use of the drugs Hesper provided her with. She needed to talk to Hesper, reassure her that it wasn’t a problem and stop the constant yet well meant nagging.

Right now she was more interested in her fathers obvious nerves. They were at the airport, Katherine’s flight had landed safely and she had just text Marcus to say she was waiting for her bags and would be out soon; there really was no need for nerves.

Elsa smiled to herself. She had a pretty good idea where these nerves were coming from, which was why she had insisted on accompanying her father to the airport despite his transparent attempts to dissuade her. Marcus had now swapped picking at his thumb for continuing to suck on it, even though the smell of blood was long gone. 

Elsa reached out and gently pulled her fathers hand from his mouth, “I could grab you a dummy from the chemist?” she quipped, smiling at him warmly.

Marcus stared at her, frowned, then gaped in sudden realisation before a look of annoyance spread over his face, “You know!” he said incredulously.

“Know what?” Elsa asked innocently.

“You know - what you know,” Marcus sputtered, even though he was sure she did, he couldn’t bring himself to admit it just incase…

“Oh, you mean that Katherine isn’t going to be staying in my room?” Elsa asked. Marcus went bright red. When she had been human Elsa had been afflicted with a severe tendency to blush at the slightest embarrassment; she got it from her father.

Elsa laughed, “Relax Dad,” she said, “I’ve had an inkling for ages. Vampire remember? Able to sense thoughts and feelings?”

“I thought I’d been a bit more discreet,” Marcus sounded genuinely disappointed at his inability to hide his relationship with Katherine from his daughter.

“Well you didn’t need to be,” Elsa said, “Did you really think I’d mind?”

“I didn’t – I wasn’t – your mother,” Marcus couldn’t seem to decide what it was he was trying to say.

Elsa placed a reassuring hand on his arm, “Don’t be daft,” she said kindly, “I love you and I want you to be happy. I know how much you loved Mum, it’s been 18 years Dad, you are entitled to move on with your life.” Marcus visibly relaxed and Elsa could see just how tense he’d been; “Besides,” she added lightly, “Now I don’t have to feel so guilty about leaving you on your own when I stay at Sebastian’s.”

Marcus opened his mouth to protest but Elsa jumped to her feet, “Katherine!”

“Elsa,” Katherine returned Elsa’s bear hug and winced a little, “Don’t forget you own strength sweetie,” she said and Elsa released her quickly.