Chapter 1: Death

"Everyone in this team knows, we have all been specifically selected because vampires have already taken so much from us that we have nothing left to lose. Vampires are a subspecies of humans. Unfortunately, the genetic condition can be forwarded to other humans through bite, or exchange of any other bodily fluid. And we all know there is no way to kill vampires other than using other vampires. And this experiment you have signed up for is exactly that. An attempt to find how we can use vampires to our advantage." The instructor paused her pacing in front of a slideshow of both victims and the vampires.

As if to clue, a vampire was brought forward, with a drip probably containing silver melted into as much aqua regia as they could manage to make in the chemistry lab.

"This vampire is being given, what you may have correctly guessed, aqua regia with silver. All the silver manages to stop vampires for quite a while and subdues them, thought it stops working when a vampire's hunger goes too much to be controlled. This is why we have had so many problems trying to kill vampires."

The instructor went closer to the vampire and brought up the wrist that had the needle injected into it, "The needle you see here is actually made of vampire fang, so that it could actually pierce the skin of the creature here. Fang is the only part of a vampire that we are able to do things to. But getting to the said fangs is very hard. Another option would have been claws, but we have found that the claws are retractable, and it is very difficult to gain the claws. And trust me, when I say difficult, we mean near impossible. We have tried everything, but nothing other than another vampire's claws work."

The vampire's head moved a bit, and it looked directly at the instructor for a second and tried to make moves to bite her, but she moved out of the way and the two guards behind him held him down again.

"If you are wondering how we obtained these fangs, one of our brave officers who had been bitten managed to come back to the facility, and we had to kill him while he was right on the brink of completing his transformation into becoming a vampire. Since that eventful day, we have finally had a way to rid this earth of these horrid monsters. We have looked at the chemical composition of the said fangs, and created an alternative that can actually bring these monsters down."

Rene Hodgson was reading between the lines without any problems. The vampire in front of them was the officer who had come back. She had no doubt about it. But the instructor was correct on the other account that they had picked up the most desperate of us and gathered them in the hall for this.

Even the idea of being in a lab for the rest of her life, continuously being tortured with different types of experiments to find a way to save humanity, did not bother her anymore. It seemed like a blip in the grand scheme of things.

She felt like a blip in the grand scheme of things.

She had been there when the monsters attacked her family's moving vehicle. She had seen her parents cover her in cloth, as the monsters tore open the doors of the car from both the sides. Not only that, but she heard her parents begging to be released.

She had tried moving, speaking, but was too frozen in fear to even make a beep sound, her brain going into shock and deciding to shut down all the motor instructions, only caring about her staying alive to be let go, if they gave the vampires some blood to drink in a nonviolent way.

Rene had laid in that car for so long, just like that. She maintained that position while they took her out of the car and brought her to the hospital to get her checked for any bites or such things. She still at times found herself laying like that when she was laying down. And she was yet to get her due.

The vampire's spokes people had come forward saying that the attack had been done by rogues who had not been able to drink any blood for days, and the amount of blood being given to them by the humans was not enough to cover all their needs.

Well, there would be no need to give them any blood if they were all dead now, will there?

The instructor continued to go and talked about the findings that humans had made, and Rene tried to think of happy thoughts.

The instructor calling her name made her come out of the thoughts and gloom, and Rene stood up in attention as the nurse came to her with a fluid in a syringe. She knew she had probably missed a lot of general instructions, and she had no idea as to what was in that injection, but she was too far gone to ever again care about it anymore.

She made herself relax as the guy came and lifted her sleeve to her wrist.

Rene felt as if the syringe was made of ice, because of how much it hurt going into her. Rene tried taking deep breaths as icy fire raced up her hand and made her feel numb, before it started burning her. Even when she was helped back in her seat, her mind felt like it was buzzing, like it was suffering through the worst brain freeze that it had ever experienced.

When the pain finally receded in her body, and she came to, Rene found herself on a bed with restraints attached. Well, restraints was a polite word to use for the chain that bound her to the walls in the room, and her so-called bed was just a slab of concrete higher than what appeared to be the rest of the floor.

"Hello?" Rene called out. She felt a whole lot of nothing now, not even pseudo-pain, not even the concrete slab under her was supposed to serve the purpose of being a mattress.

Nothing.

Rene laid there for a while, waiting for someone's arrival, but she couldn't even find herself managing to even create annoyance. Usually, she was a very impatient person as a perk of being clinically depressed, so the lack of emotions was a surprise, maybe. She wasn't even sure if she felt surprised.

After what seemed like forever, she heard a person move outside the door.