Chapter 9: Defeat

The two vampires looked at each for a moment, trying to analyse any weaknesses. The vampire bared his teeth and sent Lindsie flying with a kick to her ribs. Rene tried her best not to flinch at the crack of the body hitting the wall with a sickening crunch.

Rene could hear the bones in Lindsie's body break into pieces, and blood sprayed, the scent filling the entire room up. Rene did her best to not look in the direction as she pulled the retracted sword off her waist stirrup and flexed her arm to straighten it to its full length.

The scent of blood made her canines itch to elongate, despite the fact that she had her latest drink just three days ago. It was rather distracting. She had overfilled herself the first feeding and her body was yet to understand the change of feeding cycles.

"So, you are with them." the vampire accused Rene.

"You say it as if I owe you something." Rene said, hating the fact she had to be the same species as this mass murderer to be able to kill him. The trial at controlling her emotions so as to not letting him see them on her face, led to Rene completely shutting her emotions off. She knew that if she so much as let herself feel an ounce of sadness at losing her dear friend, no one in the lot would survive the night.

Rene needed to dispose of this vampire off soon, the sun was going to come out in three hours and the ride back to the island was two and half hours.

The vampire pointed at the wall on which he had killed Lindsie, saying, "You owe me that one.'

Rene roars at him, her anger slipping through the cracks and presenting itself as much as she did not want it to. She attacks him with the sword, running up to him and doing a side swipe with the sword, aiming at his neck. He dodges it with a duck to the ground. Grabbing hold of Rene's right leg, he hoists it up to throw her off balance.

Rene uses his hold on her leg and hits him with the left leg's heel. Then she uses the hit and jumps off and out of his hold, the jumps making clouds of dust form and mingle into the air, giving an odd flavour to the already present blood.

His claws come out and the vampire does a swipes at Rene, which she defends against by slashing at his arm coming towards her with the sword.

Rene manages to chop off the claw of his middle finger, making him howl in pain and making her feel the impact of the hit, the strength of it travelling from the sword to her arms. A vampire's claws were the hardest part of its body, after all. There was a dent in the sword, the side which broke the nail a bit mangled.

The two of them stop and look at it fall to the ground, before Rene shrugs at him, "I think you needed that nail cut."

With a roar, the vampire lunged towards her before Rene could make a move. Instinctively, kept her hand on the sword to her side and dodged his attack at the last second. The vampire flew directly into the wall which was behind her.

A huge crack was heard on impact. The dust flew everywhere once again. Once it cleared, She saw the impact that the vampire had on it. Unlike Lindsie who was a human, who died on impact, the vampire could not be hurt by the wall. Instead, his impact was what led to the cement fall off the wall. The cracking noise had originated from the now dented and smashed area of the cement wall.

Although the vampire was no longer in front of her, Rene could feel his presence prickling her skin, making her hold her breath so that she could find him better, as her grip tightened around the hilt of the sword.

She moved just in time for his lunge from the ceiling, where he had climbed.

Thankfully, this time, her arm was placed in the correct place to cut his left hand off from his elbow down.

He did not stop coming at her though. His next claw swipe got her in the left side of her waist.

Both their wounds immediately formed the black crystal using their blood. Blood which had flown off became shards, cutting into the skins of humans lying around, making the air smell like blood all over again.

The two kept at it, taking hits without any particular care, as long as they were able to take a chunk out of the other person.

Soon, one of the pillars gave way and collapsed, making the two disengage and jump back.

When the clouds cleared, the other vampire was holding Paul up by his broken forearm. "You want him alive? You give me your sword."

Rene kept looking at the vampire without any reaction, so he squeezed Paul's arm. Even in his unconscious state, Paul let out a rugged breath.

"Let him go first." Rene said.

"I have something you want." The vampire said, squeezing harder.

"And I have something You seem to like so either you let go of him or we can continue this dance for a while." Rene replied. She knew that if she so much as took the sword off herself, he would attack. The only reason she had less wounds on her right now was because she was able to keep him at a distance. Then thinking about her abdomen wound, she thought, mostly.

Vampire took both of Paul's arms and said, "You have till two."

Rene catalogued her wounds and catalogued if she could take the hits she was going to take when he got the sword, by the time vampire said one. By two, she had a plan formed and nodded.