Chapter 6: A Friend Or A Foe?

The plane landed on yet another island, this time a smaller one, which seemed semi-attached to the mainland. Rene was set free of her silver spiked cuffs soon after that.

When they had taken the cuffs off, Rene noticed that the reason they had been hurting so much with the insistent pain was that she was not able to get over even after the small, but mind-numbing three hour long plane ride.

The spikes in the cuffs had managed to cut through Rene's skin and the silver had ensured that the blood did not clot around the foreign material, but also acting as plug, the reason why more of her blood did not spill out. Even with that the entire band was soaked in her blood, but none of her blood leaked out because of the absorptive material in the band.

Rene watched her blood clot, the black blood forming a sort of bracelet without any strings on her hands, as she was greeted by a researcher who called herself Maria Isabel.

Maria was supposed to be her caretaker in all of the supposed training Rene will be put through, measuring her statistics and such, No care about the fact that Rene was completely uninterested in killing anyone.

There was a difference between giving your taxes and knowing that they go towards protecting your country's borders, and actually killing people to protect your country's border. There was a difference between signing up as a test subject to eradicate a species threatening the existence of yours, and to actually be the one having to pick up the weapons and doing the killing.

In both cases, Rene would always choose the first one.

When Maria and she had gone some distance, Rene asked Maria, "Can they not find someone else to be their killing machine?"

"Oh, they couldn't. Yours were the best test scores of all the people who signed up for the experiments."

"Depressed to the point of suicide type of person?" Rene asked Maria, an eyebrow raised in question.

When Maria did not say anything to that, Rene went into the room allotted to her and closed the door shut, softly, because Maria probably would not survive getting crushed by the door if Rene used force.

Sliding a piece of paper under Rene's door, Maria said, "Sorry for that, but this is the time table for your training. Please ensure you are on time for everything, seeing that we will be keeping a tight schedule."

Rene, who was still angry about the helpless situation she was in, asked, "Oh really? Don't you mean tomorrow night? Seeing I am allergic to the sun now."

"Miss Hodgson, I understand your situation is distressing-" Maria spoke, but got cut off by Rene.

"Oh really? I think you will be able to understand SO MUCH BETTER if I bite and turn YOU."

Maria waited for Rene to stop speaking before continuing, "I think your rudeness towards me is unwarranted. Trust me when I tell you that you should be really very grateful that you are not one of the test subjects."

Rene opened her door again at that, a comeback ready at the tip of tongue to tell Maria exact things she could be very grateful for, but then didn't speak it out loud. Rene was pretty sure that the entire place was being watched and she wasn't bringing herself any trust points by being so volatile. So, instead of telling Maria about that, she said a complete lie, "I think I might be starting to get hungry."

Fear suddenly filled Maria's face and she said, "I'll make arrangements immediately."

After Maria left, Rene went back inside the room, and looked at the time table. She had no idea whom she could and couldn't trust, but one thing was for sure, she could never trust Maria. If the person was trust-worthy enough to have gained the baby-sitter role for Vanja's 'precious pet project', her loyalty will definitely not lie towards the said pet project.

She waited till someone came back with a blood bag and a straw, and Rene had to make herself drink the thing. She was so full. As is, being recently turned and having drunk so much blood last time she was fed, that adding this small bag to the mix made her feel like a bottle.

Just shake her and listen to the amount of liquid inside her body.

The person who came now informed her that since tomorrow was the first day, they will be seeing her abilities with different weapons and assessing them to find the best fit for her. The day after that, they will be training her in just that weapon, since they were running out of time.

"What is the time limit for?"

"Thing is, even after your training, we will need an entire team to take care of the vampires. There are more than one vampire, you know?"

Feeling a bit too full, and still guilty about her treatment of Maria, Rene nodded and sat down, waiting for the next day to arrive.

***

Rene was back in the car with her parents. She was sitting next to her younger self, who was busy on her phone, while her parents dueted over the song on the radio, going back home from the theme park.

Rene didn't need to even know that she could imagine the scenario. She had lived it so many times in her dreams before that she knew just the second when the car would suddenly stop with a crash, she felt the pain as the seat belt dug into her younger self's body.

She watched as she took off her seatbelt and her parents quickly threw a sheet over her. The sheet that her mom always covered herself in while in the car, because Rene and her dad had always felt so very hot while she was chilly all the time.

The next part was where she couldn't see anything, but only heard her parents' screams as they begged the people killing them for mercy. No matter how many times Rene had this dream, she was never able to see anything, but just heard the screams.

So she was very surprised that this time, she was able to actually see.

She got herself out of the car to save her parents, even if it was in her dreams, even if she lost her life doing this. She would not hide under the blanket and hope that it was all a bad dream.

But when she did, she found that she was the one crouching above her parents, drinking from their mauled necks. Two of herselves.