Chapter 8: Hunt

After a month of short training, they decided to check if the training had been a success. A few people from the facility came with her to accompany her on her first hunt and monitor her activities and progress.

Even after the training, Rene was not sure if she had it in her to take someone's life, even if that other person was a vampire. She was really glad that the people who had been selected to accompany her were a few people whom she had come to trust a little over the course of the month.

Paul was the guy who had given her the blood on her first day at the facility. Rene had learned that he was the person who was aware of everyone's schedule. He was also an expert driver, his ability at evasive maneuvers and to drive almost any mode of transportation making him a cut above the rest.

Other than that, it was the senior instructor Lindsie whose palace Maria had taken over for the first day. She was now the person who was incharge of the reports.

Maria was actually an engineering researcher and had a hand in the technology that they were using, Not the weapons, but for the training, so she was providing background support in case something from any of the nearby facilities was required.

They had decked out in an area where a report of a murder had come out. Suspected vampire activity. Thefacility decided that this was perfect for a practice run. Since there was only one murder, the chances were, there was only one vampire behind it, so there was a low chance for the team to be caught unawares with another vampire coming out to play thna the one they find.

So Rene was there with Paul and Lindsie, along with a few guards for the security of the humans.

They were all in an underground parking lot, with Lindsie noting her before run tests so that they could compare them with the after run results. Rene was also on the receiving end of a few last minute tips from her instructor. It was a tense atmosphere all over, till they finally got a small ping of the vampire's energy signatures on one of the cameras that were fitted everywhere with the help of the local governments to identify vampire movements.

As soon as they received a ping, it was a go for Rene. She hadn't wanted one, but the researchers fitted her with an earpiece. The things were so loud that Rene could hear the thing and she knew they would be doomed with it near her. The other vampire will know where she was and make a run for it. At the end, they had agreed for her to take it off as soon as she saw the vampire and was on a trail.

Rene made her way following the vampire, using the instructions being given to her. One second there was nothing, then all of a sudden, the pings were coming from everywhere.

Then, a little later, the pings disappeared all over again. It was almost as if the vampire was moving to avoid the sensors, just like Rene was.

Understanding widened Rene's eyes and she looked around her to find the tallest building in the city and quickly got to the top of the thing. It was not like the owners of the skyscrapers will know about a bunch of holes the shape of fingers this high up in the building or care about them, for that matter.

As soon as Rene was on top of the building, she looked down to find if there was someone else moving around from rooftop to rooftop, like her, whom she had not been able to see because of the loud deafening piece in her ears.

But if there was no one up here...

Rene jumped off the building, using the side of it as a launch pad to go down faster. The people from the other end who had been tracking her location via a GPS saw what she was doing and asked her to stay put till they got another ping, but Rene knew that the next ping would probably never come. Not before it was too late.

Rene took out her earpiece and threw it on the ground, breaking it, well before she arrived back at the location of their underground garage. The two guards who had been holding a post right next to the entrance had their arms broken by twisting off, both unconscious from the pain probably. Rene went even more inside, this time on her toes so that even she wasn't able to hear her steps. There were more guards there, but she could tell from there, all unconscious, all with arms so that they couldn't use their guns.

When she finally got to the second floor of the underground basement, where she saw the vampire. He was checking up on his latest victim, Lindsie, who was also alive.

When the vampire looked at Rene, she understood what Maria had been telling her the first time when she told Rene to get her head out of her ass. The vampire had had a recent hunt and was fully conscious about what was happening around him, unlike the way the vampire in the facility who had been driven by complete animal lust for blood and hadn't been able to make a single calculated move.

As soon as this vampire clocked Rene, he was on full alert. He probably hadn't expected her to return so soon after he had confused the direction givers with pings, appearing in random locations. He definitely knew the area well and had been aware of where the sensors had been planted and had the good sense to keep out of their way.

This was what she was up against this time. Not a savage creature who was starving and looking for the next meal. This one was probably planning to get as many of the people with him alive, so he could store them somewhere to drink from them later.

Suddenly, Rene wasn't sure if she'd even survive her first hunt.