Chapter 5: Control

Rene looked out to find that the building was breaking like one of those videos where they do planned demolition of buildings.

"You talk as if you were not attacked by that vampire." one of the guards spoke out, not at all pretumbered about the situation.

"I was. Does not mean I understand the situation here."

"The facility is being evacuated. It is infested so it is necessary for the assets to get saved and kept away from the hands of vampires." another guard replied.

"Why am I being given so much more freedom than just before the blast?" Rene asked, not sure how she felt about getting dehumanised to the point of being called an 'asset'. "Not that I am against freedom. Thank you for giving me that. But the people were literally cowering in front of me before the blasts. Then all of a sudden, I am the normal neighbour."

Rene did not add, I am not able to determine if you guys are dangerous enough to handle me, or just plain stupid.

"Your scores on the psychological tests, and other things had come in when they had decided to put you under observation," another guard spoke up, and Rene recognised her to be one of the ones on the door "Plan had been that if you can control yourself, you will not be just kept as a test subject, you will be asked to go for hunts against other vampires. Blast happened when they were going to ask you about how you are feeling."

"I never agreed to take anyone's life. Human, or vampire." Rene says firmly.

The screen between they side they were sitting on and the driver opens and a guy pokes his head through, "You signed on your contract that you will allow Vanja group of corporations to use you however they find is necessary, as long as it is towards the goal of ridding Earth of the vampires. Now shut up. I am on a call with the higher ups."

***

~City G, Vanja Business Facility ~

"You think you can hand us things like these and we will accept them?" General Colten growled, slapping the status report in front of him.

Baldric Powers, Head of Vanja, leaned forward and said, "She has a strong control on her hunger."

Colten leaned forward with Baldric, "She is a vampire. She is one of them."

"You know just as well as I do, General, that vampires are faster than our bullets. We need someone who can go up to their speed to be able to kill them. We need to arm them and use them as our shield."

"The way you said that we will use vampires in the military? You brought this problem on!" General leapt to his feet.

Baldric remained in his seat and calmly replied, "Sir, I would like to remind you that you asked us to make you impenetrable soldiers, and that is what we did. It is not our fault that you were not capable of maintenance and lost control of them."

General was about to shout again, but Tiffany Laporte, the political representative sitting next to him, caught his hand and asked, "How are you so sure that this time it will work? We heard that the research facility got under attack. You couldn't save your own facility. What makes you think you can stop the vampires?"

The question caught Baldric off guard, since it had happened only three minutes before this meeting started and he was still receiving by-minute updates via his earpiece., but he caught himself. His face showed none of his surprise when he replied "The invasion occurred because we did not have any way to stop it. Vampires truly can only be stopped by other vampires, and our current query is still newly turned. But she still managed to save many lives, while they were still bleeding. This was even before we had her through any training. We think she has potential, and if she is a successful project, we will look for more humans with similar backgrounds to train."

Tiffany looked at Baldric and after calculating the logistics decided to nod. "After so many deaths, what were a few more? As long as problems get solved."

Baldric was about to express his gratitude, when this time Tiffany leaned forward and said, "Those casualties include you and your company."

Tiffany got up while giving him a meaningful look and the General followed the suit, walking faster to get in front of her, before slowing down to a more measured pace Though he did wait for Tiffany to open the door for him.

***

~Enroute to Vanja Training Facility for Guards~

It was only when the plane took off did Rene learn that they did not just make the facility in a scheduled location, away from the densely populated area. They had made it on a freaking separate island.

Rene was seated with a two seat distance between her and the nearest guard in her row.

After they had all settled on the plane and she knew that no one was going to be interrupting her, she asked the guard on her right, "So, what about the researchers? I did not see them anywhere when we got out of our vehicle."

"The researchers? They are in the facility bunker."

"They are still on the Island?" Rene screamed in shock, then quickly caught herself and said, "Wouldn't that be unsafe?"

"No." The guard said, eyeing Rene to ensure that she didn't pounce on him by breaking her restraints. "From what we understand, the vampires somehow found out about the fact that they were doing research to take them all out in this facility and all the damages done are to the areas that had the incubations in them."

"Aren't they researchers still in harm's way?" Rene asked.

"No. You were the targeted research material. The Hader guy even came at you. He could have killed the entire facility, but he kept his claws to himself till he found you."

This surprised Rene. She couldn't believe how much faith these people had on the vampire's morality code. Then she remembered the way Hader had killed the vampire whose leg she had shredded. He could have totally killed her when he had caught her, but he hadn't.

Something wasn't adding up here. And Rene had to figure it out.