Chapter 2: Awake

The said person came into the door in slow motion.

"Hello." He said, as if she was a person who could not speak the same language as him, and speaking slowly would somehow make her understand.

The guy was dressed in a black, what appeared to be a lab coat, and he looked at it once again before saying, "Are you aware of your name?"

Rene rolled her eyes from him to the ceiling, "Yes, I do."

"I am sorry. Can you please repeat your words? And this time is not an un-understandable screech?" the guy said.

The guy was still talking in that slow way that was so infuriating that Rene felt her emotions come back. Imitating him, she said, "Well, hello there! Yes, I am still having all my memories and am fully conscious of everything."

The sentence took forever to complete, but the guy looked so shocked to realise that she could understand and speak that it was worth it.

As Rene's feelings came back to her, though, she suddenly felt a sharp pang in her stomach and realised that she was hungry.

Her senses suddenly became really sharp and she could hear the annoying tic-tok of his wrist watch and the delicious enticing sound of his heart pumping blood around in his body.

The sound of his heart soon overpowered the sound of his watch, that she felt like it was the only sound in this world that actually mattered after a bit.

Rene started trying to pull against her restrain, her body trying to get the delicious bag of juice moving on two legs.

The thing was nice enough that it came closer to Rene seeing her struggle and inability to be able to get to it instead. Her food came close to her, but kept being just out of her reach, making her roar out her frustration.

Unfortunately her roar made her meal go further away, so she controlled herself, letting it get closer to her, making false promises of not biting it again if it came close.

The food bag finally trusted her requests, but the food inside it was rotating around even faster, as if calling to her. It then lowered a pipe to her lips, which started to drip food.

Though it was not as enticing as taking a bite, the other thing was too hard and kept a distance between itself and the area till which her mouth can reach, and Rene felt too tired to play the game of cat and mouse with him right away. Maybe she will have this more conveniently available food for now, before she takes a bite out of the other one.

Keeping that thought, Rene opened her and let the thin pipe enter her mouth, sucking on it harder to make more blood come out.

It took a while, and a lot of blood, before Rene finally regained her senses.

Had she really been referring to the lab coat guy as a food bag?

He had left a long time ago, while she was still drinking that delicious juice out of the straw. Damn, she didn't know that the lab knew such good food! She hadn't realised that she had fully expected them to be at most marginally better than hospital food.

She would have to ask them what brand and thing it was, so that she could buy the thing in bulk, if she was ever able to escape the place. Or if they could give it to her daily.

Thinking these happy thoughts, thinking these happy thoughts, Rene didn't even realise when she fell asleep again. All she knew was that when she woke up, she was strapped to a chair similar to the vampire they had brought in during the presentation, with a syringe inserted into her.

Whatever was in that syringe was making her feel painful. At least the world was finally a lot faster now.

Another guy, this one older than the last one, was sitting in front of her furiously typing things into his laptop. Maybe sensing that he was being watched, he looked up at her and said "Hello, Rene. I am Doctor Julien Labrecque. I will be examining you."

Rene tried to bob her head, but for some reason, although her mind was fully awake and functional, her body felt very lethargic to her. She realised that she was being treated as if she was a vampire, but she was not able to understand why. She hadn't even been bitten.

It took her a while to recognise the muscle she could use to form words and speak, but she finally managed to form the word, "Why?"

Even this exertion was too much for her muscles and she knew that it will take a while before she will be able to make another word again.

Thankfully, Julien loved to give a long monologue, "Well, firstly, I would like to thank you for being the first person to volunteer to have our formula injected into you. Although your faint put most of the other people out of the volunteering, many were inspired by your bravery and news of your survival to join the program after the news got out. All of them are in gestation period right now, and it will only be after they survive that we will be able to give everyone a correct estimate as to the result of the formula."

"Unfortunately," Julien continued, still not remotely answering her question, as vague as she was when asking it, "We had been correct in hypothesising that the formula is not something that can be administered on everyone and forced us to inject it into 30 more people who were actually interested without telling them all the repercussions. There have already been 10 fatalities, and I have low hopes that anyone in the secondary chosen batch would survive at all. So many lives lost in their hurry."

As if he had been giving promotions, right then a woman in another black lab coat came through the doors in the room and said, "Doctor Labrecque! Five more fatalities!"