Chapter 4: Predator

The other vampire noticed Rene at about the same time that she noticed him, because vampire senses maintain their strength to ensure that no other vampire tries to snatch the same prey.

And Rene was making this new vampire feel threatened.

Is he one of the new ones that Julian had said they were testing the formula upon? Rene thought about trying to approach him casually, not knowing what having to share her prey felt like.

The other vampire quickly shot up from the body he had been drinking from, and Rene saw that the guy had been beheaded by a large shard of glass cutting his head clean off.

"Well, I guess, he won't be turning into a vampire." Rene mused out loud. Then she turned to the vampire "Please feel free to continue."

Maybe it was the fact that she was one herself, but for some reason, she didn't feel the same amount of hostility towards other vampires anymore. Yes, she still did not like them, but it was not the Inigo Montoya moment anymore.

The other party was not feeling the same, though. And when Rene did not stop coming closer, his claws came out.

"Wait, how do you have those?"

The other vampire did not really answer her as much as he snarled and jumped towards her, arms open to swing and fangs out.

As if that one stretch removed all the tension she ever had between them, Rene's joints and muscles slid over each other in a smooth symphony as she did a duck.

The vampire was almost past her, but she caught hold of his legs and pulled him down and backwards, making him fall straight into the flooring.

As if by instinct, Rene had her claws out and sliced off one of the male's legs from the knee till ankles. His skin and muscles easily gave way to Rene's claws, like a hot knife on butter. Black blood gushed from the left over leg, solidifying in seconds to stop the bleeding.

The cut made by the claws was enough that the leg would separate, but not enough to shred the leg completely. More like a pulled pork kind of situation, the meaty bits dangling off what was left of the leg, the foot swinging around, even with a solid shield of blood on it.

The man snarled at her and took another swipe, but Rene quickly dodged it, "Sorry, no time for you."

Rene grabs hold of the railing of the balcony on the inside of the floor and jumps to the floor right below the one she was on. She finds no visible signs of damage on this one so she is ready to leave, but out of nowhere, a hand grabs her from behind and she throws the person over her shoulder and to her front by reflex.

It was the guy who was representative of the vampires, Hader Estrus.

Oh, this one she was going to kill.

Rene throws her claws out and comes at Hader, her right hand at a swing, which he dodged and taking her outstretched one in hold he lands her a kick to the gut sending her flying into the ceiling.

When Rene makes impact, the ceiling breaks and comes down with her, the headless dead body, the shredded leg vampire and everything.

Hader grabbed her mid-air and brought her down with a hand to her neck, only to leave his back open to the other guy, getting the claws embedded into his back. Hader lets go of Rene, takes the claws out of his back and then brings out his own and rips the head off the guy.

This was a way cleaner cut than the one Rene had made on the man's leg. Once again the blood tried in vain to solidify, but it was in vain.

Just then the guards arrive. Their bullets must be vampire piercing because Hader uses the dead body as a shield till he is able to take a dive off the balcony into one of the floors below.

Rene is surprised when they don't attack Rene immediately, instead concentrate their efforts in taking down the representative who probably isn't even in the view anymore. For a bunch who had been too scared to approach her even with their weapons drawn, trigger happy to rig her with bullets the second she made slightest movements, they suddenly seem to have come to think of her as no threat at all.

One turned to her and said, "Miss, we need you to come with us."

Seeing that she had nowhere else to go, and running away was not really a good option, she decided to go with them.

They took her outside and into a car, it was then that she realised that the facility was not the one they had the orientation in. This was a solitary building surrounded by marshlands. Which is understandable. If you are running experiments to turn people into vampires, you probably don't want to do that in the middle of a city.

There were many trucks and cars lined on the road, all tinted heavily and guarded. Something made Rene want to go around and see what was in the trucks, but she stopped herself. She was currently the experiment they did not drug up hard enough to be put down.

She was asked to sit down in one of the trucks with bands made of leather along with heavy guard, who all appeared to have weapons made out of that 'vampire fang' material they had talked of in the introductory. When she asked, it turned out that it had spikes of silver to ensure that her vampire nature did not get the better of her.

Rene debated for a few second about whether or not she should ask them, but then thought fuck it, "Will you guys tell me what is happening here?"

They had just driven a few metres away when Rene had asked this question, and before anyone could reply, the entire building just collapsed in a loud boom.