Chapter 6

"Romeo and Juliet? I don't get why people are still into that play, it's like a thousand years old and everyone knows how it ends. Heck, they spoil it in the beginning!" Emma said and Ruby eyed her amused.

They were looking at the latest flyers and notifications on the pin-up board. A few people were circling around them, because the most interesting news always came on Monday, and today the name of the play for the annual Spring feast was announced.

Ruby had told Emma about the event that took place every year and as soon as she'd mentioned theatre, Emma had become really interested. She liked acting and she figured if perhaps the play was something for her to participate in.

However, Romeo and Juliet didn't interest her in the slightest and she'd given up the thoughts of auditioning.

"Well, it's a modern version of Romeo and Juliet. It could be fun," Ruby attempted, but Emma shrugged and shook her head.

"No one's applied for the part of Juliet yet, though," Emma remarked. Every part for which auditioning was necessary was written down and apart from a few non-existent names (people thinking they were being really funny) no one had written their name down underneath the role for Juliet.

"Regina said she was going to audition," a girl Emma didn't recognize said, from behind her. Emma heard a few people sigh in disappointment and take off.

She frowned in confusion and looked at Ruby. "Is it forbidden to apply for a role if Regina does the same?" she sarcastically asked and was already searching for a pen in her bag.

"No, it's just.. Regina is really good. In the past years no one's ever been better than her and she always gets the biggest parts. She'll get the part of Juliet as well, probably, but maybe you can apply for another part. Although you don't like the story."

Emma waved her hand dismissively. "I love the story. I love the entire storyline. In fact, I can't wait until I get to play Juliet."

She scribbled her name down and smiled proudly. She turned around to look at Ruby, but instead, her eyes caught Regina. She was standing beside Ruby now and observed Emma.

"You know that writing your name down is not the thing you actually have to be skilled at, if you want to get a part," Regina said and took Emma's pen from her. Emma rolled her eyes as she watched Regina use her pen to jot down her own name in the neatest handwriting Emma had ever seen.

"Oh, you may have gotten every part you wanted in the past, but that's simply because you've never been up against me," Emma said and smirked as she grabbed her pen back and put it in her bag.

Regina raised an eyebrow and chuckled. "Well.. I suppose we'll see soon enough who gets it," she said and turned around.

"Emma, you don't even like the play, are you sure this is a good idea?" Ruby questioned, but Emma kept her eyes on Regina, who was sashaying away.

"As long as it annoys Regina, hell yeah," Emma responded and looked at her friend. She smiled and Ruby raised her eyebrows, but let out a chuckle as well.

"That's kinda crazy, you know that?" Ruby asked as she started walking with Emma by her side.

"Oh, Ruby, you've only known me for a week, you don't know half about my craziness," Emma joked and hooked her arm in Ruby's as they continued their way to their classroom.

~~~~~

Mary Margaret felt quite stressed. There was but a week left until her shop would have its official opening, but she wasn't ready for it, at all. She hadn't considered the endless plannings and things that needed to be taken care of. At least, not in this amount.