Chapter 21

Emma looked at Regina as though she'd just seen a ghost. "I don't have a dad," she said and shrugged carelessly. She hadn't told the story about her so-called father to anyone in Storybrooke, and she liked that. She liked having her past behind her and being able to start anew. But she knew that Regina would be able to get the truth out of her. She knew that it wouldn't be long until she was telling Regina everything, because she was the only one Emma had ever known, with a situation at home that was just as fucked up.

Ever since the man was out of her life, friends had asked her where her dad was. Some in a rude way, some in a genuinely curious way, but Emma didn't like sharing the story, mainly because she hated the story itself. She knew Regina would continue asking, because everyone did.

Whenever she told people she didn't have a dad, they replied with "oh, come on, everyone does", or "did your parents get divorced? Mine did as well, but I still see my dad every week". And she was sick of those responses. People shouldn't go assuming things about her life, but she always just nodded curtly to whatever they were saying, because she didn't trust people like that. And people that she didn't trust, wouldn't get to hear the story.

Emma was already preparing herself for the worst responses she'd gotten, or could come up with, all possible answers Regina could say, but all the girl said was, "okay".

It wasn't a mean tone, or rude, or condescending in any way. It was just an "okay" that showed that she understood Emma didn't want to talk about it.

Emma was both touched and a tad confused by Regina's answer. "You're the first one who doesn't ask any further. Thank you for that."

Regina smiled. "You'd tell me if you wanted to. Who am I to force you to tell something you want to keep to yourself?"

Emma smiled and felt relieved. She hadn't expected Regina to be this understanding, but as many times before, the girl kept surprising her.

It stayed silent between the two of them as Emma took the pizza's out of the oven. She'd already set the table before Regina had come, so she carried the pizza's to it. Emma wanted to light the candle that was on the table, but she didn't know if that was too much. After all, they were just hanging out as people who'd basically just started to tolerate one another's presence. Candles always gave some sort of intimacy to a situation.

"You can light it, don't worry," Regina said, after Emma had been staring at the candle for longer than necessary. The blonde chuckled nervously and lit the candle, before Regina and she both sat down.

"Enjoy your meal," Emma said, as she started cutting her pizza in several slices. Regina smiled, and looked down.

Suddenly, all Emma could think about was the candle, as if was flickering between the two of them. It really brought more intimacy to the room, because the rest of the space was quite dark. It felt a whole lot like Regina and she were on a date, as they sat across each other at the small table, both smiling uncomfortably.

"Can't you call your da- Henry?" Emma asked. In her mind, she'd constantly been referring to Henry Brown as Regina's dad, but she didn't even know if he actually was it. She also didn't know why she was so invested in the whole situation, but for some reason she was. For some, still unexplainable, reason.

"I don't have his phone number," Regina replied, but Emma shook her head.

"Yeah, you do. You can call his office, ask for him? I bet you'd be able to talk to him," Emma said. Regina seemed very hesitant, but Emma knew that if Regina wasn't going to call, she was going to do it.

"I don't know.. perhaps," Regina said.

Emma now noticed that Regina still hadn't touched the food. "Do you want something else to eat?" she asked, but Regina quickly shook her head and reached out to the pizza, still not quite touching it. "When is the last time you had one?" Emma asked, having seen Regina's struggles regarding the pizza.