Chapter 17

Regina quickly made her way back to the crowd. It wasn't long before she got pulled away to a group of friends that she'd seen wander around school a few times, but she didn't really know them.

"We didn't expect you here," a girl with blonde hair in a high bun said. Regina tried to hide her confusion and just nodded shortly. "You and Ruby never seemed to be friends?" She clearly expected an explanation, but Regina didn't even know the girl's name and she was in no mood to hold a conversation.

But at that moment, she saw Emma and Ruby returning and she figured anything was better than having to talk to either of them, so she quickly concentrated on the girl in front of her.

"Well, yes. Sometimes people and situations change," Regina said with a fake smile. It seemed as though the three friends in front of her wanted something of her, but she didn't quite know what.

"She's talking to us!" one of the other girls tried to whisper, but Regina easily heard it. "You're so cool," she said, louder.

"Gerda, you can't say something like that. That's really embarrassing," the third reprimanded, and Regina squinted her eyes briefly. The girls seemed to be about two years younger than she and she had no idea what their idea of her was.

Regina smiled slightly, mostly uncomfortably, but she refused to show that. "I'm really not, though, but thank you. How are you three enjoying the party?"

As the three girls started talking at once, Regina glanced behind them and saw Emma with her usual group. Right at that moment, Emma turned her head and looked back at her. Regina quickly averted her gaze to Gerda and the two other girls of whom she didn't know the name.

"She's so cool," Gerda repeated, softly and meant for just her friends, but Regina could still hear it.

Regina often wondered what made her so "popular". People either seemed to fear or love her, but she didn't know where that came from - the loving part. She didn't know why people would be obsessed with her, because there wasn't anything special about her.

"How come you think I'm so cool?" Regina asked politely. "I'm really just like anyone else here."

Gerda shrugged and giggled softly. "You're so pretty and intimidating. Like no one can ever hurt you, because they don't dare to do so. That's really cool. And you just have such a cool life, with so many friends and a big house."

The more the girl talked, the more Regina wondered why Gerda was at Ruby's birthday party. She seemed much younger than what her first guess had been, but it was quite cute to hear her talk about her that way. Though, most of it wasn't even true. She really didn't have a cool life and the only reason she was intimidating, was because she preferred to keep people away. Or at least, have them know as little as possible about the real her.

Before Regina could respond, she felt herself being pulled away from the conversation. She looked aside and saw that Emma had grabbed her.

"What are you doing? I was in the middle of a conversation," Regina said, and couldn't hide her annoyance.

She knew she and Emma weren't friends. She knew she hadn't been nice to her and Ruby, but she'd hated hearing Emma say it out loud. Mainly, because she'd actually been trying to be somewhat nicer, and having Emma laugh at even the idea of them becoming friends was hurtful. Even though Regina herself had no desire either to become friends.

"Do you want to play truth or dare?"

Regina groaned. "Do I look like a twelve year old to you? This is such a cliche, so no. Thank you." She yanked her arm away from Emma and stepped back to search for other people.