15. Contradicting Liar

— Theo —

Theo

THERE WAS A bird in the house.

It had erratically glided in through the unlatched backyard door and nestled inside the confines of the kitchen. And it was resoundingly noisy with its ear-splitting chirps and rambunctiously fluttering wings.

Riley had taken one glance at the bird soaring across the white-trimmed hallway and had resolutely decided that hiding behind me was the most formidable solution.

"It's not even half your size," I exclaimed as she ducked her head low behind me.

"Have you seen its beak? It'll peck our eyes out," she yelped as the bird flapped its wings right past her, almost as if it was teasing her.

Her eyes trailed the bird's precise movements as it flew from one piece of furniture to the next. It had mahogany brown feathers with white spotted wings that flapped unceremoniously up and down in the air.

"It's a Robin," I emphasized with incredulity.

"So why are you hiding behind the couch with me then?" she retorted with raised eyebrows.

I stammered, unable to form a reasonable excuse. Truthfully, the bird shifted directions at a swift pace and with its pointed claws and edged beak — it was almost pitiful to feel the panic that brazenly coursed through my veins.

And deep down I admit I was afraid.

But I wasn't going to admit that to Riley. I had to keep my macho act because God knows how many embarrassing stories there are about me already.

"Protecting you of course. It is my utmost priority," I countered with honesty.

"Like the time you protected me against that goat coming at me at full force," she pointed out with crossed arms.

"That doesn't count. I told you to run, didn't I?" I practically yelled as the bird's screeching chirps intensified.

"You told Jules to run. You forgot me in the middle of the pen," she protested as we both squatted lower behind the couch.

"I didn't-oh...so maybe I did...but I came back when I realized you weren't on the other side of the fence," I defended myself.

"And then you just stood there and laughed at me while the goat chewed on my sweater," she grumbled.

"What? The goat wasn't hurting you. I told you they were nice."

"That's not the poin-" she was cut off as the bird swooped down until it landed right in front of us.

Riley jumped with a stunned cry as she backpedalled on her arms and legs until her back crashed against the grey walls. The bird approached her with crazed eyes, squawking in echoing blasts.