10. A New Home II

I opened the door to let Kakashi follow me inside. As we removed our shoes and traded them for slippers, he started to look around. I'm sure he had been here before, to consult with Tsunade, but the thought never seemed to cross my mind.

"Looks like she's made it feel more like a home, since she knew you'd be returning to the village last spring," he said.

His comment confused me, "What do you mean?"

"Tsunade was never home while she was Hokage. She had an office full of work that she didn't want to do, an empty fridge and a few unpacked boxes. Maybe this is her next step towards mending your relationship?" He suggested.

"I suppose you could be right, it was a little surprising to see photos on the walls and shelves when I came home today... For the most part, she never felt they were necessary to have, especially if she was never home," I said as I walked towards the fridge to see if she had anything to eat. To my surprise, it was half full. She had various vegetables, fruit, meat. Even the pantry had broths, noodles and bread.

"I don't think I've ever seen Tsunade even grocery shop," I laughed, "Are you hungry?"

"I'll have whatever you're having," he smiled and thanked me.

"Make yourself at home, it'll be ready soon," I said as I wandered into the kitchen.

I turned on some music and began to hum along. I fired up the stovetop to make some miso soup with tofu, green onion and mushroom. I cut up some veggies and fruits as a snack, I also may have poured a hefty glass of wine. After a few minutes, I had forgotten where I was and began to sing along.

I was so into it that I didn't even see Kakashi standing there, taking in the view and smiling, as he leaned against the door frame.

He frightened me and made me jump, "Oh my goodness, I didn't even see you standing there," my cheeks turned pink.

"I didn't want to interrupt your little party," he teased. He closed the gap between us and hugged me from behind as I stirred the soup.

With his arms wrapped around my waist and his chin resting on my shoulder, my body felt like it was tingling.

"Cute apron," he whispered in my ear.

I turned to face him, "Oh it's very cute," I played along and winked.

He slightly tickled my sides, "Hey! That's not very nice!" I laughed in pain, "I-, I hate being tickled," I laughed so hard my eyes watered.

"I just wanted to see your beautiful smile and hear your laugh," he said pulling me closer. He lifted my chin with a finger and was going to pull me into a kiss. But I knew that if he did, I wouldn't be able to stop myself.

"Oh! The soup, I almost forgot about it," I said as I let go of his grasp. I took the pot off of the burner and filled two bowls. I placed everything on the table and even poured him a glass of wine.

"Thank you for cooking, it looks delicious," he said not meeting my eyes. He knew I dodged his kiss.

I had to break the silence, "So, what's it like to be Hokage?" I asked.

Without hesitation, he said, "Lonely..."

"How so?" I pressed.

"I live alone, work alone for most of the day, my friends now have families and lives of their own... I'm at work more than I am at home to begin with...," he trailed off.

"Kakashi, if you'd like to go home to rest instead of staying with me, I totally understand. Please don't feel obligated to stay on my behalf," I said.