A is For Apathy

A week after school lets out, the slamming of our mailbox lid interrupts my mid-morning nap.

Truth: I have the sleeping habits of a lizard. I find the warmest spot in the room, generally bathed in direct sunlight, and snooze as long as I please. The sound of the slamming lid wakes Wokie, our dog. He informs me, the departing mailman, and the family of squirrels nesting in a nearby tree that he does not appreciate the noise. The squirrels simply chatter back at him, which sends him straight to the base of their oak home. Ignoring the dog, the squirrels, and my disorientation from being woken up, I grab the stack of mail and begin my daily search.
Bill, a postcard from my aunt Xio, bill, credit card offer...and a pair of virtually identical long white envelopes. To the parents of Cheyanne Xiomara Straight. To the parents of Felix Ricardo Strait. Finally! I rip both open.

My brother's report card is the usual mix of Bs and Cs with an A in PE thrown in. Flipping my report card open, I scan the scores and comments from my teachers.

8th Grade Honors Earth Science..........A

Comments: outstanding student!
8th Grade Pre-Algebra...................A
Comments: Cheyanne works hard and always gives her best.
8th Grade Choir.........................A-

Comments: N/A
8th Grade US History..................A

Comments: Bright student, always prepared and makes an outstanding effort.
8th Grade Spanish......................A
Comments: Muy bien!

8th Grade English Language Arts.......A
Comments: Wonderful girl, wonderful to have in class.

I sigh with relief. My father will be pleased. I stick my report card above Felix's, on the fridge.

"Felix!" Mom yells a couple of weeks later. My brother sticks his head out of his bedroom. "What's this on your report card about your grades being better if you weren't so distracted by the girls in your class?"

I snort. Felix loves girls; girls love Felix. Plenty of girls attempt to get close to me in an attempt to cozy up with my brother, but it never works.

Felix smirks. "Girls love me, Ma."

My mother snarls that he'd better shape up for high school and disappears without a word to me. Felix sticks his head in my open door.

"Sorry, Sis."

"For what?"
"I know you wanted her to notice your grades. You did really good."

"Well. I did well."

"Don't be like that..."

I stare my twin brother in the eye. "It is what it is." He leaves.

I flip over on my bed and stare up at the ceiling, tears rolling down my face and into my ears. Truth: No matter what I tell Felix, I desperately want my mother to notice, even just notice, my existence. I didn't even care if her comments were negative...I just wish she'd comment at all.