The Keeper of the Stars is Up to Something

We make up the most awkward party at the bowling alley. Jessie and I wear dressy white tops that glow under the blacklight. Jamie wears her standard carpenter jeans, a white short-sleeve shirt, and sweater-vest. Rebecca wears a black long sleeve shirt and dark jeans. Rebecca and Jamie know each other vaguely from middle school, but because they had not shared friends or classes, have nothing to talk about. Jamie and Jessie are formal and polite to one another but do not go beyond that. I want to know Rebecca better, recognizing her from various joint church functions during the last few years, and begin by complimenting her on her handling of Dustin Martinez.

"He's such an asshole," Rebecca sums up as I tell stories of nearly being pegged with footballs during stunting practice, of rude comments in math class, and of general torture. Rebecca, in turn, explains the back story between herself and Dustin, how they were best friends until third grade when his parents divorced, and his behavior went off the rails.

I glance up at Jessie, bowling her 8th frame of the evening. Coordinated as she is on the mats, the same did not hold true for the bowling alley. Her foot crosses the foul line, and, in combination with being off-balance from throwing and the waxy floor, the next thing we know Jessie's head is in one gutter and her feet are in the other.

Jamie gets there first, offering a hand to help Jessie up. As soon as Jamie is sure Jessie's ok, Jamie's fighting back the urge to laugh.

Jessie brushes off and begins to laugh at herself. Rebecca and I join in as Jamie cracks, and we stand in a circle, laughing so hard that tears well up in our eyes.

I do not believe in coincidence. My heart and head know there is a greater force at work in the world than just random chance. At that moment, I recognize that from then forward, Jamie, Jessie, and Rebecca are my best friends, as well as each others'. This is not a random chance encounter; this is fated and brought about by a greater force.