A Portent of Doom

"So, Carl asked me to be his girlfriend," Jamie announces the next day over lunch, unwrapping a sandwich and popping open a Pepsi.

"And you said...?" I begin, dipping an apple slice into peanut butter and crunching on it. My insides seize up: please no, not Carl. Anyone but Carl.

Jamie smiles through her mouthful of peanut butter and banana on whole wheat. "I said I'd do it."

I take a moment to consider it. Something about Carl seems off to me. I do not trust the sophomore, but I cannot put a finger on what exactly it is that creeps me out. I do not know how to broach the subject with Jamie. Now I have waited too long to do so. All I can do is brace for the storm.
"Are you sure that's what you want?" I ask delicately, attempting to be Switzerland if nothing else. I know that a good best friend would say to hell with the rules and the timeline and tell Jamie exactly what I think. I, however, do not have that kind of courage.
Jamie nods, taking a swig of Pepsi. "Yes. I considered it overnight, and talked to my sister about it; but I like him, he likes me, so I'm willing to give it a shot."

I am quiet for a moment too long, and Jamie gives me an odd look. "What is it?"

"Well...I'm just not sure he's...he...he gives off a weird vibe."

"Not all of us can find our soulmate when we're in middle school."

I recoil at the venom in Jamie's voice but hold my ground.

"I'm not saying you're planning your wedding! I'm just saying that the guy doesn't sit well with me. Just be careful, okay?"

"I always am, I promise."
Despite reassuring me that she is not mad at me, Jamie is awfully quiet for the rest of the day. She does not talk to me in the locker room before gym class, and she barely says two words on the ride home. I am put into a sour mood in turn. How is it my fault that something is not right with Carl?

"Why is Jamie peeved at you?" Felix asks later that night from my bedroom doorway.

"I told her I didn't like her new boyfriend."

Felix makes a face. "Please tell me she's not dating that skeevy Carl guy from her math class."

I nod. Felix plunks down on the edge of my bed. "You know, I know that Jamie's mostly your friend, but I care about her too. Do you want me to say anything?"

I consider it for a moment. "I want you to, but I think that would just make it worse. I want to just let her make her own choices and be supportive. She's been so supportive of me and Danny."

"That's different. No one thinks Danny Algrim's a whack job or a future rapist or something. Nerdy, yes, but he treats you like you're a princess. You'd have to be Princess Leia, because you can take care of yourself and because you have this super awesome twin brother, but still."

I throw a highlighter from my cup of pens, pencils, and markers at him. He throws it back, laughing. "I hope it all works out."

"It will. It's Jamie. We've never spent more than a day mad at each other. We've tried, but we end up with stuff we want to say more than we want to be mad."

"Good luck on finals."
"Thanks, Felix. Are you doing ok?"

My twin stands and stretches. "Yeah. Ready for this damn semester to be over already. Finals are going to kill me."

"I hear you. I better get back to studying."

"You're determined to be the valedictorian, aren't you?"

I hesitate and then nod. "I want that scholarship to U of M."

"Okay."