Names

I ended up replacing Ji Hyuk oppa.

A few days after the mall episode shoot, Ahjumma called me to her office to upgrade my contract.

I was getting a raise. Apparently, an editing lead had proclaimed that he had never had such a variety of hilarious, candid and rather magnetic shots of Jungkook to edit with.

"Yuki. Here's the one you were looking for." Ahjumma spoke to the tiny sofa in her cramped office. It moved. I jumped. There had been a guy sleeping there, not too older than I was. Yuki sunbae was the editing lead who had recommended me. I waved at him.

"Is she a high school student?" he exclaimed to Ahjumma, ignoring my greeting. I was a little offended. And sure, I looked young for my age but not that much also. After that day, Yuki proceeded to address me as 'hakseng' any time we met, and soon, that was the name that stuck with everyone.

Before I left, Ahjumma said, "you can relax a little -," I looked confused, "- with the oil, did you pour an entire bottle on your head?" she snapped. Oh. Since then I stopped oiling my hair and dressed a lot more like myself. But a bun and a black extra large tee were what I still wore, albeit differently.

Even Ahjumma's golden rules were a lot less strict than I'd expected. Though I never addressed any member myself, they did it plenty of times. Except for the one I was stuck working with most of the time.

"Delete it!" Jimin ordered.
"Don't!" V imitated the same tone.

I bit back the laughter. I was shooting V's behind the scene interview snippet and had caught Jimin picking his nose in the background.

"HAKSENG! I will let you personally record my dance practice." Wow. Jimin was trying to bribe me. The idea of a solo shoot did seem tempting -

"Don't and I'll recommend you shoot all the MVs for my mixtape." V chimed in.

Yeah. None of those promises were real.

"Stop harassing her, both of you." The voice had come from behind me. Two feet apart. I hadn't sensed him coming at all.

"She only takes good videos of you, Jungkook" Jimin accused, but he was smiling. I went scarlet. Jungkook coughed. I didn't look at him.

"That's it," I said, "I'm deleting every video of you, Jimin shii -" he grinned, "-except for the last one." He groaned.

And that was how most shoots went. I wondered if Jungkook would ever address me directly. How had we managed to shoot together for so long without exchanging any words except for grunts and hmmms and monosyllables was beyond me. I hadn't expected him to be this shy at all. At first, I suspected he just didn't like me, but it was not so.

For one, he had a comfortable vibe around him since day one. And then sometimes, someone from his team would call me to take a video of him playing a song, practicing some steps, or drawing something when the shoot would get held up, or it was some other member's turn. That's how I'd become friends with Ae Ra, one of his makeup assistants. She called me most often. He never wasted a moment doing nothing.

That day, they were shooting the concept photos for Map of the Soul: Persona. This album was to bring a whole new image for the group. After taking snippets for the shooting sketch all morning, I'd finally caught a half-hour break. I scouted an unused black background standing across the wall, away from all the pastel room sets, and sneaked behind it. Yeah, just the right amount of space to curl up and sleep.

I had begun to doze off when I heard someone sit down on the floor next to me. Well, not quite. I was behind the background and they were in front, not knowing that I was there. Who cares. I went back to sleep. Until he started to hum.