Just Friends; Devin Booker {R}

For Diamonté❤️

"Diamonté?"

My eyes met with the brown eyes of the Phoenix shooting guard.

"Yeah?"

"Can I get your number?" He asked, shyly.

I had been introduced to Devin just a mere two hours ago at the Arizona county fair by mutual friends and he hadn't left my side since.

"Hand me your phone." I smiled.

He smiled and handed it over. I typed my number in and handed it back.

"To a new friendship." He said, holding his lemonade out to me.

I tapped my lemonade against his.
"To a new friendship."

"Té? Té!"

I snapped out of my trance and focused back on Devin who was laying in my lap.
"What?"

"You in there?"

"Yeah.." I nodded. "Just thinking about the day we met."

He sat up slightly.
"That was about a year ago right?"

"Just about.."

"So you've had the pleasure of being my friend for a year..on a scale of 1-10 how lucky do you feel?"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes.
"How lucky do you feel? If it wasn't for me you would've broken your arms the first and only time we went rollerblading. Your lucky I pushed you into the grass and took the fall."

He sighed.
"That's true. I would've missed the playoffs if it wasn't for you babygirl."

"Instead I went to my med school graduation with two thick casts on my arms."

"You still looked beautiful in your grad photos so that's a plus." He smiled.

I playfully hit the back of his head.
"I fell face first when I walked into my grad party because of those broken arms."

"That wasn't because of your arms." He chuckled. "It was because of the extremely long dress that you choose to wear just because your ex said it looked the best even after I told you it was too long."

"Ugh, I can't beleive I listened to him. I did look great in that dress though."

"You did, but he was worried about your looks while I was worried about your safety."

"You still hate Brandon huh?" I chuckled as the mere mention of my ex changed his whole facial expression.

"You could've done so much better Té."

I could've done better..I could've had you..
"You say that about everyone I talk to."

"I just don't want you with someone that isn't good enough for you."

"Who's good enough for me then?"

He locked eyes with me again. He opened his mouth to speak but opted not to say the first thing that came to his mind. He thought about it again before getting up and kissing the top of my head.
"When I'm sure, I'll let you know."

I rolled my eyes as he walked away to the kitchen. Devin always did this. He would find different ways of showing his feelings for me but when it came to actually talking about it he froze up. We'd started out as platonic friends but the lines started blurring especially when I'd broken up with Brandon because of him. My thoughts were broken by his phone ringing.