Press Conference; Kyrie Irving

For Perrie💚

Kyrie

It was the final seconds of our game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
It was tied 122-122
Tatum passed me the ball and I looked up at the shot clock.
3 seconds left.
I was getting crowded by defenders. I took a split second decision and looked at the sidelines at my wife and son cheering for me. I decided to just take the chance and shoot the shoot, worst case scenario, we go into overtime.
1 second left.
I release the ball and it swishes into the net at the buzzer, ending the game and making he score, 122 to 124.
Cheers were heard throughout the arena but I wasn't even focused on that. I turned to see my beautiful wife of 7 years, Perrie, standing there with our son, Kyrie Irving Jr, cheering for me with an adorable smile on their faces. I quickly walked over to them and placed a kiss on Perrie's lips.

She smiled and kissed back as I wrapped my arms around her waist.
"Congratulations baby!"

"Thank you wifey." I smiled, hugging her tightly.

She giggled and slightly moved away.
"You're sweaty as hell Ky."

"I know. I know." I said, picking up KJ.

"Congratulations daddy!" He smiled, giving me a small hug.

I chuckled.
"Thank you buddy."
I handed him back to Perrie and sighed.
"I need to go get changed then do interviews. You okay hanging out in the family room?"

She nodded and held onto KJ.
"Of course."

I quickly headed to the locker room where I was greeted with cheers and claps, congratulating me on my game winning shot. I showered, changed, then headed back out to the press conference room.
As I sat down to answer questions, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed KJ waddling towards me.
I chuckled and picked him up.
The sight of him could make me smile. I swear he was my blessing.
"Hey son. Where's mommy?"

"She said I could come."

I nodded and put him on my lap, moving the microphone slightly away so he couldn't touch it and hoping he wasn't going to be a 'Riley'.

"Any questions for Kyrie?" Our PR asked the room of reporters.

One reporter spoke first.
"Yes. Sheryl Viggs here from ESPN. What was going through your head as you made the game winning shot? We're you paying attention to the shot clock or-"

A loud, childish noise erupted from my mic and I quickly looked down to see KJ messing with the mic.
The room chuckled as I moved the mic away from him.

I smiled and addressed the question.
"Uh, I did have my eye on the clock and I didn't think to much into it, you know, it was either I make this and we win or we go into overtime and still try to-"

"Daddy I want to talk." KJ said, cutting me off and being close enough to the mic that the room heard it.

"No KJ." I said, moving his hands from the mic and going back to addressing the question.
"But uh, yeah, either we win or win in overtime. It wasn't a lot of pressure."

KJ pouted and leaned into the mic.
"No fair!"

The room of reporters chuckled again.
I gave a slightly forced smile and pulled the mic from his small hands.
He reached for the bottle of water next to me and I opened it and handed it to him.
"Mm. It's good daddy. Have some!"

I smiled and grabbed it from him.
"I'm good KJ."

"Why you no want it?" KJ asked.

"I'm not-"

"Daddy loves water!" He said, into the mic.

I cleared my throat and grabbed the mic once again.

"Uh, Kyrie, Carol from NBATV, how do you think you guys did offensively throughout the entire game? Do you think it could've been better?"

"I think we did our job offensively, we also could have-"

Before I could continue, the mic was pulled from me and KJ had it in his grasp.
"Hi guys!" He waved.

I looked over in the corner to see Perrie walking over, trying to hold in her laughter.
"Tell him to come to me." She mouthed.

I nodded and pulled him away from the mic and put him down.
"Go to mommy. She's right there waiting for you." I whispered to him.

He nodded and stomped off, not before waving to the crowd.
"Bye guys!"

The crowds laughter got louder as reporters waved and aimed their cameras at him.
I smiled, as Perrie picked him up and walked them back to the family room.

I turned back to the crowd and laughed.
"He's hilarious."

"Did your son have an impact on your game winning shot Kyrie?" One reporter asked jokingly.

I smiled.
"Yeah. I was thinking if I actually get this shot then I could get home earlier to put him to bed, so he won't be up all night."