XX.

State Championships

Chris

I slept in Nala's room last night but woke up to no Nala beside me. I woke up a little before 7:00. I texted and called her but no answer. Trying not to panic I assume she was already at the stadium. I had to get the team there by 8:00 so we left out the hotel soon after.

Arriving at the stadium there were a few teams already there including Overland. Looking down at the turf I spot Nala doing her hurdle stretch routine. I figured she'd be here by why didn't she tell me. I know she was nervous about State and I wish she'd just talk to me about it rather than being distant. 

I give the team instructions to do a warm up lap, stretches, and to prep for their individual events. I walk down to the field where Nala is to try and talk to her.  She was wearing the team warm up suit and her hair was down and in it's naturally curly state. I've only seen her hair like that once before. Aside from her famous messy bun I loved when she wore her hair like that. Getting closer to her she looks super focused. Her AirPods were in and she had that serious mug on her face that I found rather sexy. Pushing my nasty thoughts to the side I approach her. She makes eye contact with me and removes one of her Airpods.

"You weren't in the bed when I woke up this morning." I spoke

"I wanted to get to the stadium early." She says dryly

"You couldn't text or leave a note or something?"

"My bad." She shrugged

I wasn't going for her nonchalant attitude at all.

"I get that it's State and you feeling the pressure but I'm trying to be here for you."

"Thanks but I just need you to be my coach, nothing more."

I nod and turn on my heels to walk off. Nala was hot and cold when it came to Track. Sometimes she wanted me by her side and other times she'd rather me be on the sideline. I turn to look back at her and she was now sitting on the turf with her head in her hands. I really hope she wasn't putting too much pressure on herself. I grab my clipboard and head up the bleachers to the coach's meeting.

Nala

I've been at the stadium since 5:00 this morning. I couldn't sleep at all last night. Chris holding me was comforting but it's like I shut down emotionally anytime I'm under pressure. It's like nothing else mattered but the races ahead of me.

I hadn't planned on being so cold with Chris this morning. God knows I could actually use his encouraging words and a kiss on the forehead but you wouldn't be able to tell by what I said to him. I wanted to just run up to him and apologize. Tell him that I needed him by my side now more than ever. Guess that'll have to wait till later.

"Well you're up and at it." Kalani said plopping down next to me on the turf

"Couldn't sleep much last night." I shrugged

"How was your night?"

"It was great actually we uh we said the L word." I smiled remembering us on the beach

"Very funny." Kalani laughed

"I'm serious Lani and it lowkey scares me because you know I'm not the type to do shit like fall in love."

"He must got that magic dick." she laughed "You shouldn't be scared though, that man has proven to you time and time again that he down for you no matter what. I'm happy for you though." She smiled hugging me

"Thanks Lani."

Looking up I see Skai heading in our direction once she makes eye contact with me she quickly looks away and follows her trainer in the opposite direction. She look skittish.

"Uh what was that?" Kalani asked

"Girl hell if I know she been off since she tried to kiss me at the banquet. If anything I'm glad she keeping her distance today the less bullshit the better."

Looking down at my watch I see that the time was now 8:45. Everything was to start at 9:00 . The relay was my first event and it was actually the first event to kickoff the championships. I could feel the adrenaline already.

"FIRST CALL GIRLS 4X100 METER RELAY, FIRST CALL!"

"I'll go check us in and get the girls together."

"Thanks Lani I really appreciate you."

"I got you."

She held out her pinky and I latched mines onto hers before she turned to walk off. We never said out loud what exactly we were pinky promising but consciously we both knew. It was something we always did since we were kids. 

"SECOND CALL FOR THE GIRLS 4X100 METER RELAY, SECOND CALL!"

Getting up I go over to where the rets of the relay team was standing with Chris. It look like he was giving them a pep talk as he handed them each a piece of tape. I joined the huddle standing beside Kalani. As he talked I threw my hair up in a bun and pulled out some strands to frame my face. Chris watched me intently as I did so not that anybody noticed but me. We were in the last heat also known as the fastest heat. There were teams here that we haven't even competed against due to them not being within our school district. I was confident but how confident can you be when you don't know what you're running up against.

I look up to see the team has already dispersed and it was just Chris and I standing there. Damn was I in my thoughts that deep?

"You good.? He asked as he handed me my number and piece of tape

"Yeah I was just thinking is all." I replied "Sorry about earlier."

"Don't worry about that right now focus on this relay. California High, Overland, and Crenshaw are your competition. They've ran similar times this season and Crenshaw's coach has already been talking shit to me this morning." Chris said he motioned his head towards their coach

I know I did tell him that I just needed him to be my coach today but damn I didn't think he would brush over my apology like that.

"Well we will go out there and give you something to talk shit about."

He smiled and nodded walking off to the finish line to watch the the heats before us.

Another mini update. Also working on a new story. Hope you enjoyed.