She's a keeper - Alyssa Naeher

@marvel_nerd_lol
This took me an embarrassing amount of time to write, hope you like it 😊

Everything is going tits up. I can't make a single shot on goal, Canada is pressing on us hard, and my feet seem to be on a different planet.

This is the semi-final game and we're meant to be winning. I take a lookup field and see us losing possession yet again, none of our strikers can seem to get the ball in the back off the net; not like I've had much chance in midfield either.

I watch as Quinn picks the loose ball up in midfield and dribbles down the field directly towards me, they look up for a pass to my right-hand side and I mentally praise myself for reading the move quick enough. But just as I lean forward to intercept the pass, Quinn pulls the ball across their body and sprints past me. Leaving me in the dust yet again.

I can see the defeated looks of our teammates around me. This isn't how I want my first Olympic tournament to go. So I push forward hard, using all my energy to try and catch up to the ball. I can see myself getting closer by the second but so is the ball to our goal, it's been passed forward and Alyssa is readying herself in goal to make yet another save.

Not wanting it to come to that, I put my head down and push forward faster, closing the distance between me and the ball until it's only a small stretch away. I was so focused on stopping the shot on goal I hadn't noticed where I was. Directly in the box. With my boot sliding towards what I hoped was the ball.

The keyword there; hoped. Because instead the only thing I could feel my boot hitting was the grass and a Canadian player going straight over my leg.

The ref blows her whistle and immediately runs forward pointing to the penalty spot.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I've messed up big time here, Vlatko is never going to play me in another game, let alone call me up again! Why did I have to slide in like that, it would have been so much easier just pushing her towards the corner and maybe I wouldn't have monumentally screwed up the teams chance-

"Maria! You've got to take a deep breath!"

My head snaps up to the sound of Alyssa in my ear, her gloved hands resting themselves on my shoulder as she shakes me out of my daze. Her green eyes shining with concern.

"Fuck I'm so sorry Lys, I didn't mean to-" I ramble to her shaking my head frantically

"Stop! It was a mistake okay I'm just worried you're okay or not?" She asks the look of concern still clear on her face.

I just stare at her in shock, how can she be asking if I'm okay right now. She's got to go save a penalty in the semi-final all because of my mistake!

"What?! How can you even say that" I reply harshly, pulling away from her comforting touch, too angry with myself to think straight.

"Because it's true Maria you didn't mean-" Alyssa tried to say

"It doesn't matter if I meant it or not, I have away a fucking penalty Lys! In the semi-finals!" I angrily shout pushing myself off the floor just as the ref comes over and shows me a yellow card.

I don't look back at Alyssa as I walk behind the 18-yard box, too ashamed of myself for letting this happen. And maybe because I'm scared to see the hurt look on her face from what I've just said.

Neither the less, I line up with the rest of my teammates, all offering sympathetic looks and touches my way, and wait for Jessie Fleming to line up her shot.

I've never been a religious person, but right now I can't help but pray to anyone listening for a miracle. For Alyssa to know which way to go. For the ball to get a sudden gust of wind just as it's about to be kicked. For my mistake to not be the reason team USA leaves the Olympics early.