~Niklaus~

I woke up to the sound of my truck rumbling to life. Grabbing my head with a groan I looked over to see Elijah giving me a worried look before looking back out the windshield.

"How are you awake, you turned grey. Elijah, you were dead." I said quietly as I looked at the side of his face. But he just stared at the road as his jaw clenched, he didn't say anything he just kept driving.

"Elijah? Please, say something?" I asked as I grabbed his hand when he pulled into the end of the driveway of my house but he quickly pulled away from me.

"You can't touch me right now. I'm still weak and I need blood, and you just so happen to be full of it. I don't want to hurt you." He said as he gave me the side-eye.

"Ok, here." I quickly took off my sweater and held my arm out for him.

"No, absolutely not. I'm not doing that to you. I'll never do that to you." He said as he gave me a disgusted look.

"You clearly have something you need to do, and I won't let you feed on innocent people. I trust you." I said as I held my arm out to him.

"Fine, but just this once." Elijah said as he pulled me closer to him, before turning me around in my seat so my back was to him. 

"I don't want you to see me like this. So please, close your eyes." Nodding my head I closed my eyes and laid my head back on his shoulder. He took in a deep breath before pressing a barely there kiss to my exposed shoulder. 

I held in my wince as he bit into my skin, not wanting him to back out. We stayed there for a few seconds, and when I started to get tired he pulled away. He brought his wrist up to his mouth and bit into it, before holding it in front of me.

"Drink, it'll heal you." He said softly into my ear, nodding my head I pulled his wrist to my mouth. Cringing as the metal taste. I quickly pulled away, I watched as the bite on my shoulder healed up. I also felt the dull throb from when I hit my head fade away too. Turning around I gave Elijah a hug.

"I thought you were gone for good this time, it scared me." I said softly into his neck.

"I'm not leaving you, I promise. You're stuck with me until you want me gone. That is what best friends do, is it not?" He asked before he pressed a quick kiss to my head. 

"Yes, that is what best friends do." I said with a soft laugh.

"But I'm afraid you're right, I have some things I have to do." He said as he pushed my hair back with one hand and handed me my sweater with the other.

"I should go in, I don't want my mom to come out and start asking questions." I said as I waited for him to get out to swap seats.

"That would probably be for the best." Elijah said as I closed the door behind him.

"If anything happens let me know ok, and be safe." I said as I gave him a pointed look.

"I will. Sleep good Nesryn." He said as he gave me a smile before vanishing from the driveway.

~~~

The next few days had been as normal as they could have been, until my history class. Mr. Saltzman had been acting odd like he was a different person, but not wanting to talk to him after what had happened at the Salvatore house I ignored it. 

I still couldn't get the image of Elijah being dead out of my head. I knew he wasn't but the thought of my friend dying in front of me scared the hell out of me. As the bell went off everyone hurried out the door, rolling my eyes at them I packed my bag at my speed. But the pair of feet in front of me pulled me from my thought. Looking up I saw Mr. Saltzman take my personal book from my desk.