August 4th: Adrien Vs Gabriel

Aug 8th: Guilt

AU in which Adrien confronts his father about Hawkmoth's identity and is forced to make a choice between staying with his family or being cast aside. Will he take a path of freedom or will the guilt of abandoning his father swallow him up?
———————————————————————————————————————————————

"Father, there's something I've been meaning to talk with you about." The small blond boy stood at the foot of his father's study. To say he was nervous would be an understatement; his fingers encasing his silver ring and fidgeting with it in an attempt to calm his nerves. The studious model had never requested an audience such as this with his father unless it was something deeply personal, Gabriel had figured that much as he watched his son avoid any eye-contact.

Peering over his designer tablet fixed to its stand he prepared to wave him off as he normally would. Without a second thought he raised his hand, a sign Adrien knew too well. "Of course," the emerald-eyes of the tween lit up, "I'll see if Nathalie can schedule you an appoint-"

"It's urgent, father" confidence arising in Adrien's voice allowed him to speak with clarity and dominance. This tone was new to Gabriel and the old man became cautious and alert for the conversation to come.

Gabriel's lack of instant dismissal had encouraged Adrien and he continued his confrontation. "I," He took a breath- wether this was a breath of composure or a breath taken in when the reality of a situation hits in not even Adrien knew. His eyes moistened, "I realised something father, and I hope I'm wrong. That my mind is tricking me but I have to ask." Staring up at his father there eyes met. And locked. "Father, are you H..Hawkmoth?"

The words passed his lips just louder than a whisper and in a way that would have his father questioning wether he had said them at all. "What?" He wanted to make sure.

"ARE YOU HAWKMOTH!?" Anger rising and present in Adrien, he stood boldly and clenching his fists.

Gabriel chuckled and re-adjusted the glasses slipping off his face. With a finger his pushed them up the bridge of his nose, "and if I am?"

Adrien fell silent, he was right. Why did he have to be right. "HOW COULD YOU! DO YOU NOT EVEN REALISE HOW MANY PEOPLE YOU'VE TERRORISED." The blond boy was fuming, he felt hurt and betrayed. Nothing could excuse the actions of his father and he wouldn't listen to his excuses anyway.

"Of course I do but I'm doing this for you, Adrien." Gabriel didn't move much and if it weren't for the tone of his voice one would have thought he wasn't distressed at all. Adrien had no pity for the old man and reached out to the doorknob of his father's study.

His father's words had cut him deeper than he ever thought was possible. With a rage unparalleled to anything he'd felt before, he snapped at his father. "For me, FOR ME? WHEN HAVE YOU DONE ANYTHING FOR ME! I'm reporting you to the police, then they'll take you away." Adrien's tears started forming at the thought of his father being away from his life. He couldn't fathom the idea of his father being even more absent from his life

"Tell the police, boy." The emerald-eyed teen looked up at his father, with a smug look on his face he continued. "They won't believe you, you have no proof."

Adrien felt his whole body shake in fury, "oh yeah? I SAW YOUR KWAMI!".

The atmosphere between the two males had instantly become less tense and if anyone knew were to walk in you wouldn't have known any form of conflict had occurred. "And how would you explain what a Kwami is, son?"

The blond boys eyes widened in the reality of what he had just said. He froze and looked his father in the eyes; knowing full well what he had just revealed. Gabriel knew his identity by the slip of the tongue and he regretted it so much. No manner of words could undo this but nonetheless he tried. "Wait, no. That's not what I. Father please!"

Adrien held onto his ring as Gabriel walked over to him, also fighting back the urge to cry. As Adrien turned to run from his father before he would undoubtedly seize his miraculous, something expected happened. "I don't want you to feel like we're enemies, son." Incased in his father's arms, Adrien felt conflicted. His mind told him he should do whats right, to run and tell the police or ladybug but something about abandoning his father after he was calm and comforting rubbed him the wrong way. Was it guilt? Who knows, not Adrien. All Adrien could focus on at that moment was his father's loving embrace and how he had left him in silence after not moving a muscle.

He felt his own shoulders relax as he cried into his father's arms. He hugged him tightly and was amazed to find that Gabriel had not pushed him away. "But we are enemies, you're not doing what's right. You need to stop, I have to stop you."

Gabriel held the boy closer, trying to gain some form of sympathy from his emotionally conflicted son. "Why."

Adrien pulled away, releasing himself from the missed embraces of his once happy and content father. "Don't do this to me!" He stated, unable to voice his own draining emotions. "DONt MAKE ME CHOOSE!"

"Good thing it's not a choice, adrien. You will do what's best for our family or do you feel guilty for leaving your lady behind."

Adrien stood still. He didn't feel like he had a choice.

"It's to bring your mother back, so we can be happy."

He did want he mum back. He missed her so much. But he wouldn't trade her for ladybug any day. He loved his mother but he had gotten over the fact he was never going to see her again; ladybug took priority in his heart. "No, I won't follow yo-"

"We can make her yours, adrien. We can make the wish and list everything you've ever wanted."

she can love me? his mind raced, the temptation of everything he'd ever wanted laid out infront of him got him thinking. He could have a free life, with a free schedule and he could be free to be whoever he wanted with the lady of his dreams. There would be no reason to hide their identities and he could be himself, forever. Plus he could have his mum, someone he had missed dearly since she disappeared.

"I, I d..don't, I shouldn't. It's so wrong father! THERE'S A PRICE TO PAY FOR EVERYTHING AND I WON'T BE THE CAUSE OF IT."

Anger clear and present in Adrien's voice, Gabriel spoke. "Oh adrien, how much have you been guilt-tripped. There isn't a price to pay and the universe doesn't need to stay in balance to function, these are all lies you've been fed by the ones you thought you could trust." His father must be lying, he had to be lying. Ladybug wouldn't deceive him but if he wanted to know he would risk exposing his father to her, and she would never love him.

"No, You're lying!"

"Why would I lie, son. I need you to trust me and stand by my side. I don't benefit from giving you another reason to evade my offer of a partnership."

"O..ok." He breathed. And handed his ring to his father. He knew it was the wrong thing but after the wish is made everything will be ok and he could remove this intense feeling of guilt.

Surprise struck the model's face as his ring was handed back to him. "No no, you'll need it to get ladybug's from her."

Yep, there it was again in the pit of his stomach. Guilt.