Chapter five

I don't know why I agreed to dinner with 3 people I barely knew, having met one at a party, one just by a date yesterday, and one who seemingly despised me for some reason. I decided for a cool but still casual look, leather pants with converse and a tank top, my hair flowing down my back.

Jackson was to pick me up in about 10 minutes, Harry never gave me his number, instead talking to me through Bree who sent me his address

Jackson was to pick me up in about 10 minutes, Harry never gave me his number, instead talking to me through Bree who sent me his address. Then scowled me for not telling me about the plans, and how I should be careful, since Jackson was a good guy.

I don't know why she was worried, I have enough self control to stay with my date.

I heard someone honking outside my house, signaling Jackson was here. I grabbed my small purse and made sure I had everything, locking the door behind me and walking towards the car. As I stepped inside he said a quick hello, speeding off to the address we had received.

It was a big home, a style that suited Harry, I would have expected nothing less from him honestly. We both got out of the car and walked to the front door, knocking a few times, ringing the doorbell when no one answered after a few minutes. I shifted my weight on the balls of my feet as we waited, looking at Jackson not knowing what to do. "Are you sure this is the right address?" He asked me after another minute.

I pursed my lips and looked at the text Bree had sent me, then the number on the house. "It's the one she sent me, it should be the right one-" Before I could finish my sentence the door swung open, Harry standing in front of us with a big smile, one that didn't quite reach his eyes as he looked at Jackson. I felt my heart pick up as he looked over me, his smile slowly disappearing.

"You look good" He said softly, moving his gaze up to my eyes, and I felt my cheeks grow a crimson red. "Th- Thank you" I say, caught off guard by his compliment. I squeezed my hands around the strap of my purse, Harry moving to the side to let us inside. He looked good himself, not that I would say it to him out of my lack of confidence. He was wearing light wash jeans and a white dress shirt, only half of the buttons done, the rest showing off his chest and tattoos.

We stepped inside the house, looking around as I heard heels clacking from the side. Everly showed up in a skin tight bright red dress, her hair curled, heavy makeup with red lipstick to match. Her red heels hit the ground heavily with every step as she saw me, frowning at me as I stared back at her awkwardly.

Harry cleared his throat, making her look at him then me, a bright smile suddenly appearing on her face. "Valerie, it's so nice that you made it!" She exclaimed, going in for a hug as I looked at her in confusion.

I reluctantly accepted the hug as I said to her, "It's actually Vienna" feeling her muscles tense up as she pulled back. "Right. Sorry." I shook my head, "It's really no problem, I actually-"

"Hungry? Dinner's in the kitchen" Harry interrupted. I gave him a weird look, one he disregarded as he showed us to the kitchen. We walked behind the two as I felt Jackson's hand on my back, "Say the word and we're out of here, made a reservation at a restaurant two blocks from here just in case." He whispered in my ear, making me laugh and my eyes widen.

He smiled and we all sat down at the dinner table, plates in front of us and silverware, a bowl of pasta in the middle, each place having its own side salad. I looked at Harry who decided to put food on his plate first, "You cooked all of this?" I asked in slight surprise as he looked up with a genuine proud little smile on his face, "Yeah, dig in." He said, all of us taking our turn at getting our share.

I have to admit, Harry was a good fucking cook. The food was delicious and mouth watering, "Where'd you learn how to do all of this, Harry? I didn't take you for the cooking type" I said, meeting his eyes as he quirked a brow. "What did you take me for, love?" He replied with a slight tone to his voice, the nickname making my heart flutter.

I rolled my lips together to hide a smile, "I taught him a bunch, he could barely make spaghetti before me" Everly scoffed as she took a sip of her wine, lipstick stains on the rim.

Harry's smile disappeared, "Learned from my mum" He said, correcting Everly who glared at him. I ignored her and smiled softly, "That's so sweet, does she still teach you now and then?" I ask, not expecting him to tense up, his knuckles turning white at how tight he was holding his silverware.

"No." He said quickly, not adding anything else to it.

I realized I had probably touched a nerve, or spoken about a topic he didn't enjoy much. It wasn't terrible being here yet, and I was determined to keep it that way.

Being just friends with Harry doesn't seem terrible.

"So how did you two meet?" I change the subject, pointing to Harry and Everly with my fork. Everly grew a smile as Harry remained neutral, "We met at a party, we've been on a few dates already!" Harry shook his head, shoving some pasta in his mouth.

"We hooked up at a frat." He said, the silence in the room deafening as Everly looked at him with the slightest hint of tears in her eyes. She huffed and slammed her silverware on the table, storming out of the room. I sat in slight shock, not knowing what to do next as Jackson looked around and I met his eyes, nodding slightly.

"Alright well, I'm going to go to the bathroom. We'll have to get going after that." He placed his napkin and went to the bathroom as I stood up, grabbing my plate and heading to the kitchen to clean it up.

"You don't have to do that" Harry's deep voice said, appearing behind me as I jumped slightly. "Nonsense, you invited me here I might as well clean up." I answered, scraping the extra food into the bin as I headed to the sink to wash it off and dry it, placing it on the countertop. I headed back to the table to gather everyone else's plates, feeling Harry's stare on me as I did.

I looked back at him as I placed the sinks on the counter after I finished cleaning them, he had a frustrated look on his face, one that looked like he couldn't figure something else.

No words were spoken between us, and I couldn't bare the silence. "The food was good, great. You're a great cook." I say, leaning against the counter as I run my hands through my hair, a small piece falling over my eyes. I went to move it, stopping as Harry closed the space between us, hesitating before he moved his hand up and placed the stray hair behind my ear.

I looked up to stare into his darkened green eyes, looking for any clue that might tell me more about who he is.

"I wouldn't necessarily call myself a cook" He said, relying to my previous statement with a hint of a smile. As he moved his hand away his knuckles brushed against my cheek and I had to force my eyes to stay open as the warmth of his hand comforted me in some way, a way that I couldn't quite make out.

It seemed familiar.