007

Chapter Seven:
Serious?

Reneé Trinity JacksonChicago, Illinois

Chicago, Illinois

"Girl I don't even know what to do." Reneé was standing in the kitchen cooking herself some cheesy pasta mixed in with shrimps and steak.

The aroma filled the room as she sliced the cooked steak up and added the pieces into the already mixed pasta, she stabbed a bit of it and tasted it. She nearly came when she tried the food. Grabbing a bottle of Sprite out of her fridge, she poured it into a glass and walked over to her living room.

"When we first met you told me you wasn't ready for no relationships." Lisa said as she ate some seafood boil that she'd ordered. She was lactose intolerant so she couldn't even eat none of the mess that Reneé had made for herself.

"That was the plan." Reneé put the glass on the table before getting comfortable right next to Lisa. She continued, "But then he just kept popping up and one second I had my walls up and then the other they'd just all crumbled and I was kissing him."

Lisa grabbed some corn and bit into it as she watched Reneé talk about Cameron, "Girl, life is too short to be missing out on a possible soul mate." Before Reneé could say anything else she continued, "But that don't mean that you gotta get involved with a nigga that could get you killed."

With a sigh, Reneé began eating. She was so stressed out. On one hand, she wanted to get to know Cameron and begin to love him but on the other hand, she didn't want to deal with the life that came with him. The violence, drugs and shootings. Her mother had gotten killed by accident when a drive-by happened and one of the gang members shot her by accident too.

Ever since then, Reneé began despising gangs. The culture just seemed so stupid and unproductive. She also, however, knew why these men would go into this life, the system wasn't fair.

"Now listen, I think you should sit down with Cameron and sort yall feelings out. Let him tell you if he serious or not, you do the same and then talk about the dangers of y'all's relationship." Lisa explained while putting her plate down and turning to face Reneé.

"This shit always runs deeper than the two of you. When I dated Hakeem, I almost got shot when I was pregnant and it was his opps. Even now, I still gotta look over my shoulder when I'm with Kadeem because he looked just like his daddy." She said, wiping a tear away as she relived it in her head.

"Reneé, you need to realise that by loving Cameron, you're accepting all parts of him. Including his broken side, his dangerous side and his lifestyle. That's what love is." Lisa said before grabbing her plate of food, the remote and putting Love & Basketball back on.