Stargazing

Nikei sighed and kept changing the channels on TV, looking for something that might be at least a tad interesting to him. He sleepily wondered if he should just go bother Mikado in the kitchen or go see what Setsuka was up to.

Suddenly, he came upon a channel that began announcing, "-the jury calls witness Akane Taira to the stand to testify against Junko Enoshima and Mukuro Ikusaba." 

That caught Nikei's attention, and he checked the channel and what it was covering. To his surprise, it was a news channel that was covering the trial of Junko Enoshima. He had forgotten that the trial was going to be broadcasted today.

"Hey, Mikado! Setsuka! The trial's on!" Nikei loudly called through the house, and he heard the sound of Setsuka coming down from upstairs and Mikado trying to quickly take the food off the heat so it wouldn't burn. Nikei's partners got to the couch by the time that Akane had finished telling her name and profession to the jury.

"Ms. Taira, could you tell the court how you were affiliated with Junko Enoshima?" one of the lawyers asked.

"Certainly. Before I met her, I was travelling with a friend of mine and getting work around Japan," Akane began, "and he met Ms. Enoshima first. She started promising a treatment for his 'condition,' and because I didn't want to leave him behind, I followed him."

"Hold on, Ms. Taira. Could you tell the court about this friend?" someone else inquired.

"He was abandoned by his guardians and made homeless from a young age, and he's never told me his real name." the maid tried to explain, but seemed awkward while testifying. "He has, um, a condition that has him feel no adrenaline or receive pleasure from anything, it might be a mental condition. He went missing a while ago though, so I don't think I'll be able to tell his real name."

"Alright, then let's ask the defendant then," another lawyer stated. "Ms. Enoshima, do you know the identity of this friend?"

"Nah, he went by an alias of just one random word. I don't even know how I came across him, it was just chance," Junko shrugged, not even bothering to defend herself. Compared to everyone else in court, she seemed to be the happiest and calmest by far.

"Hm, Akane's gotta be lying about something, the signs are all there..." Nikei muttered. "That boy she mentioned-"

"Could it be Him?" Mikado interrupted, and Nikei immediately straightened up in shock. Now that he thought about it, the fact that Utsuro had no identity and Akane seemed to be covering for someone, plus the fact that he was currently missing...all of it was plausible.

"Ms. Taira, continue your testimony," the judge quickly got the conversation back on course.

"Of course. Ms. Enoshima first told us that we needed to sneak my friend into the academy somehow, so we were directed to attack the actual Ultimate Lucky Student of Class 79, Yuki Maeda," Akane began to explain. "I protested this fact, but she threatened to sic her sister on us if we couldn't do it. I was scared, and I had to go through with it.

"I know that what I was made to do was horrible. We broke into the real Yuki Maeda's house, killed his mother and father, and hid him away somewhere on life support. My friend impersonated as Mr. Maeda and snuck into the school, and Ms. Enoshima told us that she was saving us in order to run a killing game to kill our class. Even my friend was on edge with that, and I kept trying to break away. He kept me in line though, and I couldn't do anything. I know I deserve punishment for what we did, but the root cause of all of this was Ms. Enoshima. I've already begun making up for what I've done by turning over the location of the real Yuki Maeda to the Kisaragi Foundation, but I will accept anything that happens to me."